Honored Contributor

Idea for Candles during the Fall

Whether you use battery operated or real was candles, these acorns are a nice touch.  Place some at the base of the candle in a glass hurricane or without.  the acorns are $12.95 for the box @Crate & Barrel.  You could also buy your own mix of nuts and use them.

Taylor Hurricane & Autumn Candlelight Arrangement (Open Larger View)

Oak Tree Acorns Bowl & Vase Filler (Open Larger View)

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Idea for Candles during the Fall

How pretty!

I live around very tall oaks and I think I may collect some acorns and use indoors.  I burn candles all the time.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

That's a nice look.  Are they artificial or real?  My concern with using real acorns is that they could have worms in them.  

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

That's a nice look.  Are they artificial or real?  My concern with using real acorns is that they could have worms in them.  

I've heard that, too, but I've read that you can bake, soak or freeze them (not sure which method is best - it's been a while since reading about it).

Esteemed Contributor

I have been doing this every fall with fake acorns from pier1 that I got before they closed.  I do buy a package of mixed nuts to add additional interest.    

Esteemed Contributor

I have a mixture of very small pine cones and dull gold painted acorns (the top part of them is brown). They are on my kitchen table in a divided glass container with a battery candles on top and more acorns.

After Thanksgiving I'll add artificial cranberries, easy! 

:🕯 🍂🍁🤗

Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

How pretty!

I live around very tall oaks and I think I may collect some acorns and use indoors.  I burn candles all the time.

I have oak trees, have used them for years to decorate. The best part is gathering them ,in the leaves. I'm on O2 so can't have the burning candles ,but like the fake ones just as well.

Respected Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

I have been doing this every fall with fake acorns from pier1 that I got before they closed.  I do buy a package of mixed nuts to add additional interest.    

I have a box of beautiful acorns from Valerie a few years back,they are glittered.and just beautiful. You can drop real ones in a can of varnish, then drop them out on wax paper. No more worms.

Esteemed Contributor

Very nice! I think I have some faux acorns that I bought -- gee who knows how long ago? I'll dig them out and give the idea a try. Thanks for posting it.

Esteemed Contributor

Excellent idea for dealing with the real ones!  Thanks @HLP