Respected Contributor

ISO a good wood furniture cleaner

my eating area table and especially, the chairs, have a build up of grime. it's just daily use and grandkids. i can't find any products that work really well. i've tried murphy's, and several others and it just takes off a little surface dirt.

does anyone have a super cleaner, they'd recommend? thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: ISO a good wood furniture cleaner

Are these  pieces wood? 

If so, what have you used on them for regular cleaning/dusting/polishing.

I have found that over the years, when using things like Pledge, when people spray it on the furniture and use it every week, there becomes a build up of those waxes plus the regular oils and dirt from daily use. 

I have found nothing to break through that 'gunk'. 

So I'll be following to see if others have a magic formula to break that down and get back to the regular finish of the wood.

Honored Contributor

@10sluvr@Mominohio

If one can still purchase "Guardsman" it is really great for cleaning and maintaining wood.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Respected Contributor

i have heard of guardsman and will check for it. i've tried murphy's, greased lighting and some wood floor cleaners.

i will check the bob villa info, too.

thanks all. i'll post if i find something outstanding.

Honored Contributor

I make my own furniture cleaner.  In a spary bottle add:

1/2 cup white vinegar

1/2 cup water

1 tsp dish soap

1/8 tsp lemon oil (optional, for really dry wood or add shine)

Shake well before use. 

Woman Happy

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I married (WAY back when) I "inherited" a good number of pieces from relatives and friends.  Some were in great shape.  Some not so much.   My FIL was a great woodworker and recommended products by Homer Formby.  The stuff did such a bang up job that a few of the "donors" wanted their items back (jokingly, I hope)!!   I've used that line ever since with great success.  There's a cleaner/refinisher, and a lemon polish or almond polish (whichever scent you prefer).  I'm positive this will do the trick for you as well.  The cleaner doesn't smell and you don't need to do the work outside --- just put down lots of newspaper or a plastic tarp under the table --- or you'll be cleaning/refinishing your wood floor, too!!

Trusted Contributor

Daddy Van's!  Got mine from Amazon.

Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@10sluvr@Mominohio

If one can still purchase "Guardsman" it is really great for cleaning and maintaining wood.

I agree.  Guardsman makes the best wood products around; I won't use anything else.  They make both polishes and cleaners for wood.  You're furniture will look like new.  I highly recommend!