Honored Contributor

INEXPENSIVE ITEMS TO BRING SUMMER IN TO THE HOUSE

Summer's fleeing, but you can prolong a 'breezy' feeling (or keep it all year round) with just a few touches, besides the usual of bringing in fresh flowers, branches and seashells.

A few things I've noticed, both in-person and online that gave me that summer, or even "tropical" feeling:

Broyhill Mango Wood Picture Frame at Big Lots.  Love combo of rustic mango wood and iron.  Gives me a coastal or island feeling.  This one I have myself, and it looks even better in person.  Freshens up my stuffier antiques.

images.jpg

The "Large Framed Floral Canvas",  also at Big Lots.  Something about the moody riot of flowers just struck me.  I can't remember if the canvas print has any hand embellishment, (like the oft-used "gel coating" to simulate artist's brush strokes), but even if it doesn't, it's pretty.

images.jpg

"Foreside Home and Garden Wooden Tabletop Bird on Stand".   QVC carries this cute shore bird for about $20, H389736.  I can feel the balmy, sweet marshland air coming through the window!  That wood and metal combo I'm always drawn to also.

h389736.001.jpg

"Celebrate Spring Together" Bunny Mug.  Now, it says "spring",  but this little precious is all year round to me!   It's on clearance now at Kohl's and is hand-painted.  Doesn't he make an adorable vase?

1cb3666e-511e-5576-a95f-67a6873650cd.jpg

While we're still at Kohl's,  I always associate elephants with summer--  the "Big Top", not to mention hot jungles,  and all that.  Here's their darling plant stand on sale at around $17:

shopping.png

Lingering on summertime elephants, this sleek silver ceramic one from Amazon reminds me of the stylish Olivia and May version.  It's called "Deco 79 Ceramic Elephant".  At 12 inches, he's satisfyingly chunky and impactful, and has a happy, 'let the good times roll' expression:

Screenshot_2021-07-13 Amazon com Deco 79 Ceramic Elephant, 12 by 12-Inch Home Kitchen.png

Honored Contributor

Re: INEXPENSIVE ITEMS TO BRING SUMMER IN TO THE HOUSE

@Oznell If you want to bring in summer, for me at least, go get a big old watermelon and dive in! 

Honored Contributor

Oh, those kind of summer pleasures, @Sooner !   Yeah!  For me,  ripe canteloupe too, and juice-laden peaches, and tons of frosty, iced coffee spiked with shots of espresso....

Honored Contributor

Oznell

You always find such lovely items at reasonable prices.  Decorating can be fun without spending a lot.  The elephants are so nice and I do like the flowered canvas.  I enjoy the tour of decor!

I do put out summer decor, lots of faux flowers, collectibles relating to summer activities.  However, I love the Fall and look forward to displaying my fall/Halloween items, always uplifting.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  I just love that floral canvas, I find the colors striking.......and of course I like the bird, LOL!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  I was at Big Lots this morning with a 20% coupon on my phone and saw the Broyhill line of items. 
 Earlier this Summer I'd bought a sand timer with wood and metal, paired it next to QVC candle holder with metal and sea horses in my foyer. 
  They had lots of vase fillers also. I bought $50 worth of items that filled three bags.
         ⏳  🌾 🐚 🎋🥰

Esteemed Contributor

Nice touches for the home. Peaches are the epitome of summer for me. 

Honored Contributor

What you've gotten sounds so pretty, @1Snickers !   Glad you mentioned the bowl fillers.   I got some on clearance there too, "spearmint eucalyptus"!   Gentle scent, blue-green leaves, little pods, twine balls, blue faux blossom.  So much fun to give a bowl or vase a summer twist with this stuff.  Love to arrange, and then re-arrange it....   

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Oznell If you want to bring in summer, for me at least, go get a big old watermelon and dive in! 

I just read an entry on smittenkitchen in which Deb Perelman says "Watermelon is edible air conditioning." Love that.

I have a lot of those items out all year round at home. Thanks for sharing.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I like the elephant items. I don't necessarily associate them with summer though.