Super Contributor

I would like advice about redoing my bathroom

The bathroom in the condo we bought has small blue and white square tiles on the floor and in the shower.  I search on line and a newer version of this type of tyle is back called mosaic.

So I decided to,leave,the tile because funds are limited.  We replaced the vanity, mirror lighting, tore down the ugly wallpaper and painted the walls white. 

It looks much, much better, but it feel the white is too dull and plain. I will hang pics and put a plant or two.

my question:  if I repainted it blue, would it look too cheesy? And if not, what color blue?  The tiles are a lighter blue.  Darker than the tiles or lighter.

thanks so much for your opinions. I'm not the greatest in decorating.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I would like advice about redoing my bathroom

Do what makes you feel good when you walk in there.  My bathroom is my private space - I could care less what others think.  My powder room is ugly as sin (previous owner never updated beyond the '80s)  but really, it works, and the commode is new and water-efficient.  I, like you, have hung pictures in there and a few decorative items reside but really, it serves a function.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I would match your tile to a paint chip (both the blue and white) and then go back to the paint store and find another color to compliment the white and blue...maybe a bluish grey, that wouldn't make the bathroom so small.  The darker the color of the walls, the smaller the space becomes.

You could possibly pick 3 choices, buy samples (they have 2 oz bottles) and see what you like, it's not what we like but what you like.

I like the combination of blue, white and a "cool" grey versus a warm grey, that's what I have in my place of business.  Those 3 are feel good colors...good luck.

Respected Contributor

Ditzydori wrote, in part:"...painted the walls white...It looks much, much better, but it feel the white is too dull and plain....my question:  if I repainted it blue, would it look too cheesy? And if not, what color blue?  The tiles are a lighter blue.  Darker than the tiles or lighter.

Would you tire of blue walls quickly?  What about leaving the walls white and adding blue accessories?  New towels, maybe?  Window treatment?  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

@Ditzydori wrote:

The bathroom in the condo we bought has small blue and white square tiles on the floor and in the shower.  I search on line and a newer version of this type of tyle is back called mosaic.

So I decided to,leave,the tile because funds are limited.  We replaced the vanity, mirror lighting, tore down the ugly wallpaper and painted the walls white. 

It looks much, much better, but it feel the white is too dull and plain. I will hang pics and put a plant or two.

my question:  if I repainted it blue, would it look too cheesy? And if not, what color blue?  The tiles are a lighter blue.  Darker than the tiles or lighter.

thanks so much for your opinions. I'm not the greatest in decorating.

I just love Delft tiles--artwork from Holland.  You can get them on Ebay.  They would be great for decorating your walls.  Then you could add blue towels, bath mat, and shower curtain.  Here's some samples of Delft.

delft tile three.jpgdelft tile two.jpgdelft tile four.jpgdelft tile.jpg

I collect delft vases.  You could find one to go on the counter to tie in the theme.

Esteemed Contributor

How about selecting some wallpaper...only do one wall as an offset to the plain white...pick the paper with colors of blue...maybe a stripe....with white and blue...or two shades of blue...

That wasy if you tire of the paper...its only one wall instead of the entire room...pick the wall that would be the least of working around....

Trusted Contributor

Check out the color Ocean Dream by Behr, It is a beautiful blue color and everyone loves it.

One lady at work painted her office that color and many copied her and painted their rooms the same color! I used it for my room and it is nice!

You could also paint the walls an opposite color on the color wheel such as a nice yellow. Add some new towels and a shower curtain and you are set!

Esteemed Contributor

I am remodeling our bath and painting it Old Blue Jeans BM 839  (or BM 838 if you want a little lighter) with white trim.  I was in a room with this color and it was beautiful, I love blue and white. Don't try to match the wall color to the tile color.

Respected Contributor

I would go with pale yellow walls, then dark blue accents like towels and flower pots.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

yellow?  I love blue, white, and yellow together-so fresh.