Honored Contributor

Re: I've had it with fitted sheets!

[ Edited ]

@sandraskates wrote:

Oh House Cat, if only we could trade! I ONLY use a fitted sheet and put a duvet over it for covering. I've never liked to sleep under a sheet.

Thus, I have unused flat sheets in my linen closet. In the past when I could buy sheets seperately I'd sometimes buy 2 flat sheets and sew them into a duvet cover; I'd buy the matching pillow cases too. I'd buy the fitted sheet in a complimentary color. So my bed looks nice; it's just a bit unconventional by American standards.

If I lived alone, I would do the same thing. I like sleeping with one cozy blanket tucked all around me, like a cocoon. DH is super picky about sheets and blankets, the feel of them, the weight of them, how the bed is made... if he wasn't so ****** cute, I'd throw him out of the room entirely!

(Seriously, Webbie?  Those asterisks make it look like I said something nasty. I know, I know.. I'm never going to get to the rank of "Respected Contributor by questioning the Webbie.)

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Don't buy sheets from Evine. I've given away every set I've bought. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

But Laura Duffek is so convincing.

Respected Contributor

I bought a few sets from Macys during their white sale in January and they have extra deep pockets with elastic around the whole fitted sheet. They have shrunk a little but are easy to put on. They cost me $75 for the set as the retail price was $225! I don't remember the name but it was a high end brand. 

Honored Contributor

I have a Queen size bed and buy all my bedding in King size. It costs a little bit more, but it means I don't struggle when I put a fitted sheet on and my top sheet is always long enough to stay tucked it.That's worth the cost to me.

As for folding sheets, I roll the fitted sheets instead of folding them and don't really care if the fitted and flat sheets don't match in the closet. 

Honored Contributor

Having been a nurse for 42 years I have no problem making the beds with fitted or flat sheets. I guess i am a professional bedmaker. As for folding the fitted sheets, generally I just take the sheets off the bed, wash & dry them and put them back on. Thus - no need to fold them at all. I have one spare set in the cupboard if needed but for the most part I just reuse the same ones over and over. 

For those who are having so much difficulty making the beds with fitted sheets let me give you one big tip, the corner with the label sewn in to it belongs at the right side bottom, That is your right side as you stand at the bottom of the bed facing the bed. If you put the label there the rest of the corners will be in the right place.

Respected Contributor

I've never had a problem with fitted sheets.  I don't have a problem folding them either.  I just lay them out on the bed and fold them in from each side.  I don't do it at all like the videos show.  I hate flat sheets.  If I had my way I would use just a down blanket on top.

Honored Contributor

151949, I actually googled that a few months ago. I figured the tag must indicate something. Since then, there's been no trial and error. I have a Cal King bed with a big fat mattress. The last set of sheets I bought are quite ample, but somehow they start to shrink after a while.
~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

I have a Cal King bed, too, and use the tag as a guide.  Otherwise it is hard to tell sometimes which way it goes, unless the sheet has stripes, LOL.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Don't buy sheets from Evine. I've given away every set I've bought. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

But Laura Duffek is so convincing.

I would second this.  But I won't buy sheets from shopping channels period.

I've had nothing but problems with any bedding products I've bought from Evine.  I bought a mattress pad that shredded on the undersigned after only 3 washings.  I bought a set of sheets and the fitted sheet was totally off and never fit the mattress properly and the flat sheet was really long but not wide enough.  I had to turn it sideways so the decorative edge runs down the side and not across the head of the bed.

I've bought Northern Nights sheets from QVC that were unraveling at the seams in less than a year.  I bought Highgate Manor sheets from HSN and the fitted sheet was 2 shades darker than the flat sheet.  I bought Concierge Collection sheets and the pattern is all marred and I bought the last CC mattress pad for our camper and it's like sleeping on lumps.

Someone on this board suggested sheets from Target and I have to say, they are fantastic!    

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I hate to fold fitted sheets so to avoid that except for twice a year all beds in my house have two sets of sheets - one summer and one winter.  I fold them and tuck them into the matching pillow case so they all stay together in the linen closet. 

Now why didn't I think of that?  Thanks!