Honored Contributor

I've had it with fitted sheets!

I cleaned and reorganized my linen closet this week.  I'm happy with the results, despite the fact that fitted sheets make me nuts.

Does anyone use two flat sheets these days? I'm thinking of phasing out my fitted ones and buying flat. The fitted ones don't fit that well on the bed to begin with, and they are impossible for me to fold neatly, despite all the "how to" videos I've watched.

Grrrrr.....

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: I've had it with fitted sheets!

O.m.g. I feel just like you - it takes me and DH to get one of my fitted sheets on our king size bed and it is like going to war. We puff and pull and then DH says - that's it - and walks off leaving me with a not so perfect fitted bottom sheet. I hate them. Just went out last week and bought flat sheets, much easier, nice and smooth. Fitted ones seem to work when new but after washing/drying. Not so easy to get on. No more for me. The flat ones are great.
Esteemed Contributor

I buy 800 TC+ sheets for our queen bed, so I can't find a separate flat sheet.

A few weeks ago when I changed the bed, the fitted sheet ripped in the seam.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

I've learned my lesson about cheap sheets.

I bought "400TC" pillow cases from the other channel. OMG, you could see right thru them!

Then on a suggestion here I bought WM sheets against my better judgement. I thought they were a bit thin when I took them out. Washed them and they were truly disgusting. $50+ and I gave them to Goodwill.

I saved my pennies, bought some high end sheets. On sale. I don't have a closet full, just 2 sets for each bed. I'm in heaven!!

Trusted Contributor

Oh House Cat, if only we could trade! I ONLY use a fitted sheet and put a duvet over it for covering. I've never liked to sleep under a sheet.

Thus, I have unused flat sheets in my linen closet. In the past when I could buy sheets seperately I'd sometimes buy 2 flat sheets and sew them into a duvet cover; I'd buy the matching pillow cases too. I'd buy the fitted sheet in a complimentary color. So my bed looks nice; it's just a bit unconventional by American standards.

Honored Contributor

I hate to fold fitted sheets so to avoid that except for twice a year all beds in my house have two sets of sheets - one summer and one winter.  I fold them and tuck them into the matching pillow case so they all stay together in the linen closet. 

Honored Contributor

I bought the Q TSV sheets that are two colors, light and darker of the same hue. I love these sheets; the fitted one stays tucked, they're soft and silky and they're wrinkle resistant.

Don't buy sheets from Evine. I've given away every set I've bought. Cheap, cheap, cheap.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Oh I've NEVER had a problem having my fitted sheets fit! I don't understand the problem? I just made the bed yesterday in one of our guest rooms. The sheets are just cheapy IKEA sheets. The fitted sheet fit like a glove and looked perfect. I have a knack folding them so, to me, fitted sheets are no probem storing either.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Thank you for starting this thread. I fought the good fight a few days before. I can barely get the fitted sheets on the bed. They just barely fit over the side. I guess because I just bought them the elastic still holds it over the sides. But I expect in  a little while they will be popping off the corners.

I like the sheets otherwise but getting the fitted sheet on the bed is rough.

Honored Contributor

When we got a new mattress a few years ago, it was the thickest thing I've ever seen. I found some really great sheets at Sam's Club, and the fitted sheets, while a nightmare to fold and store (and yes, I know all the folding tricks) are so large, but so well designed, that the slip right on, but hug underneath without being sloppy. 

I had to get rid of all our old sheets because they were too small to even begin to fit on the new bed. I think people need to pay particular attention to the depth of their mattresses (measure it!) and read the sheet package description. Try to find a fitted measurement that is actually deeper than your mattress. 

The frustrating thing is it seems we can no longer choose a sheet set based on color or pretty print or even brand that we love. We have to look at sizing first, if we want a good fit. I don't remember that ever being an issue back in the day, as all sheets seemed to fit. Perhaps they all had the same measurements within a particular size, but I know they don't now. The measurements vary from one, say queen or full sheet set, brand to another.