Honored Contributor

I've been watching YouTube and here's what I've learned...

[ Edited ]

Have you seen any of the YouTube channels about homemaking and decluttering?

The self-proclaimed homemaking gurus I've been watching have sage words of advice... for instance, one of them said you should wash your dishes every day, rather than once a week or when company comes over.  Whaaat?  I hope I'm not offending anyone here, but is this not common sense?

Another said she never makes her bed.

Another said she doesn't fold clothes, just leaves them in baskets, as a general rule.

It wouldn't be as surprising to me if these people weren't making a living telling other people how to keep their homes clean and tidy.

And I'm the fool for watching them...

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: I've been watching YouTube and here's what I've learned...

[ Edited ]

They're just speaking about how their life lead them to handle tasks, as well as their rearing; same as all of us.

DH won't make the bed and in my career I left before he even got up!  I could make up the bed before dinner or give up the fight.  His DM wasn't any kind if housekeeper.  I am not a maid!

NO way will I have a sink of crusty dishes or even cook in an unclean kitchen!

Super Contributor

In my opinion women today with children are more pressed than ever.

Our world is so different now.  The pressures on women to balance career and children and home is higher than ever.  The financial pressures especially are a challenge. Let's face it, past generations had many more women who were able to stay home and focus on this.  There were high standards that everyone sought to maintain.

So channels like this are gaining popularity because they tell these women they are not failures if they don't achieve the previous generations' high standards.  As long as they find a way to cope that is good enough.

Honored Contributor

Kids haven't been taught reponsibility and standards are far lower now.  It's a dirty messy world with not so much pride.  Entitlement yes; pride not so much.

Respected Contributor

Love YouTube, so many great channels for organizing, cleaning, decluttering, shopping deals, cooking, home repairs...just everything you can think of & more, I even repaired my riding mower & saved hundreds $. I'm subscribed to 75+ channels & a few of them have become friends. I watch YouTube more than TV, my cat enjoys watching too.

Honored Contributor

What a waste of time to get tips like those. Beds can be straightened, clothes hung up and dishes washed if each family member does a few minutes of work. My house isn't big, so in a matter of minutes I can Swiffer and run the vacuum while my husband washes the dishes. Bed is made upon arising and bathroom fixtures wiped down after showering.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

I didn't know my one DIL had a youtube channel ...that's her thinking to the tee!!! (and their house shows it too!)🤣🤣🤣🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Respected Contributor

I think making my bed is my first daily act of discipline adding structure to my day. 

Excuses, excuses, excuses. YouTube is like everything else, garbage in and you get garbage out. Anyone without any type of qualifications can garner views.

Esteemed Contributor

Some of us didn't grow up with June Cleaver as a role model. 

That said, I'm not sure what "homemaking" means in 2023. Is this even relevant, any more?

Honored Contributor

@Etoile308 

I agree that there are many unqualified clunkers out there in YouTube Land, but I have to say that some are excellent... much better than anything I see on mainstream TV.

@Snowpuppy 

I get your point, but I don't think washing your dishes every day is an unrealistic standard.

~ house cat ~