Esteemed Contributor

I think my frig is on its last legs.

Meat in the bottom drawer freezes.  Not frozen solid but enough to thaw for cooking.  I just went to get some celery from the crisper.  It was crisp alright, froze and is ruined.

We got it Dec. of 2006 so I guess 13 yrs. isn't bad. Last week one of my 4 brand new tires got a slow leak, computer bought the farm so I got a new one.  Now the frig. It always comes in 3's.

The frig I have is a side by side and I hate it.  I dread cleaning it out once we find one we like.  Especially the freezer part. Then there's keeping eveything cold/frozen while hauling out the old one and getting the new one in.

Honored Contributor

Re: I think my frig is on its last legs.

You'd  better make sure it's working well before you have your knee surgery.  You will need lots of ice and it's very important that you have it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

???

Esteemed Contributor

No food shopping until you get a new fridge. Eat what's in there. What I did when my 10 year old fridge quit on no notice (compressor): borrowed a heavy duty XL cooler from my friend who has all the toys, LOL and bought blocks of ice that thaw more slowly than cubed. Worked very well (during the summer) saved what food I could and cost maybe $20-$25 dollars in ice.

Good luck! The only new appliances that I have are my $50.00 microwave and my Keurig- both a year old. The rest are all ancient or of undetermined age- all came with my house. Older is definitely better, and I hope they all have a good bit more life in them as I just replaced my entire HVAC in July, which cost more than replacing all my kitchen & laundry appliances!

Trusted Contributor

We've ordered a new frig -- our control board is not working property -- temps in freezer and refrig part fluctuates greatly.  Home warranty company (AHS) will rebuild the board, but when they take it out my refrigerator it won't work and it takes anywhere from 3 to 5 weeks to rebuild.  They did offer me the cost of the part --  $240 that I can use on the purchase of a new refrigerator.  I didn't realize how expensive new refrigerators are!

We cannot go without a refrigerator that long.  Ours is a 2009 Maytag Counter Depth French Door Style.  Should have lasted longer!  Of course, they are unable to locate a new part since this model is discontinued.  They sure don't make them like they used to.  We had an old upright Whirlpool freezer that lasted 30 years.

Honored Contributor

Youre frig... I certainly hope not... 

Smiley Surprised

Oh, you mean your fridge... Different kettle of fsh, but I still hope not...

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

With chilly temps outside and your furnace kicking on, try turning your fridge's internal temp down a notch.  Wait 24hrs before turning it down a second notch, if necessary.

Get a thermometer and set it in your crispers or where the temps are freezing items and check it before you turn the fridge temp down and then 24hrs after to see what temps you're actually getting.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Meat in the bottom drawer freezes.  Not frozen solid but enough to thaw for cooking.  I just went to get some celery from the crisper.  It was crisp alright, froze and is ruined.

We got it Dec. of 2006 so I guess 13 yrs. isn't bad. Last week one of my 4 brand new tires got a slow leak, computer bought the farm so I got a new one.  Now the frig. It always comes in 3's.

The frig I have is a side by side and I hate it.  I dread cleaning it out once we find one we like.  Especially the freezer part. Then there's keeping eveything cold/frozen while hauling out the old one and getting the new one in.

If the freezer is too full and can’t defrost properly this can happen.Once I had some peas get into the area where the defrost water drains and that caused the problem you mention too...just google your issue and see what comes up.

Esteemed Contributor

OOPS!!!!  Yes, fridge.  Had a kitten on my keyboard while trying to type.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Went through replacing my KitchenAid fridge two months ago. I opened the freezer drawer one morning and everything was thawed...had to throw out everything and a huge mess to clean up.  Refrigerator area struggled to maintain until I purchased and had a new Whirlpool delivered. All perishables in fridge area had to be replaced.