Respected Contributor

I need help in choosing a wall color.

We are getting ready to remodel our main bathroom.   I think it was redone once by a previous owner.   I'm not too sure about their tastes though.  Both the countertops and cabinets are black.  The flooring is black and white and the most unpleasant part of this room is that the bath and shower have a black wall surrounding them.  I feel like I'm going into a dungeon every time I enter the room.

We've redone all of the rooms in the house but saved the worst room for last.  We will be changing out everything in the bath.

We are going with nickel fixtures in the shower and bath along with all of the towels bars and accessories. 

We have been using the color gray in our towels and bath mats and various accessories.  I would like to continue with that color scheme if possible but I could change if necessary.

I want the bath to have a light feeling.   A little bit of blue like water but not so much as to create the illusion of a seaside resort.   Since we live in the PNW I don't want it to be too beachy.  

My problem is I am unsure of what color to use on the wall.   My husband doesn't want the walls too dark because the room isn't all that large.   I am leaning towards choosing light aqua for the walls.  I'm not sure what paint color to choose for the crown molding around the ceiling.

I would like any opinions as to whether I could go with a very light blue-green color on the walls and still continue with the gray color scheme in my towels.   I'm afraid the towels might be too dark for such a light wall color.   

If I do go with that wall color any ideas on what color of accessories would look good?

I know that many of you are so talented in design I was hoping I could get your opinions.

Honored Contributor

Re: I need help in choosing a wall color.

@J Town Girl I found this pic by googling "bathrooms in blue and gray".

If the bath is dark, a large picture in a light color with a light matt would bounce the light.

I taught Interior Design.  Hope this helps.Smiley Happy

Related image

Respected Contributor

Go to your local Lowe's or Home Depot or wherever paint is sold.  Most will have a color called Misty Surf.  I can't find an image I like online or I would post.  It is a neutral blue with gray undertones.  I painted our bathroom wall in that color and I absolutely love it.  Very calming and serene.  Completely neutral.  Browns, grays, blues, creams, and even some pastels work well with the color.  Good luck. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@J Town Girl - I'm planning a setup of light blue and nickel accents in my bathroom this fall (also a "FINALLY!" project), and Sherwin-Williams' Moonmist is likely the winning wall color:

Image result for sherwin williams "sky high" bathroom

Before we went to the store, we had fun playing around with all the color planning options on the SW website—you may want to check them out! You can use the sample photos to "paint" rooms, or you can even upload your own. Have fun...

ETA: We were originally going to go with a more aqua tone, but we found the added green in many paint colors to be less tranquil, and we didn't like the contrast with our greys, in case any of this is helpful.  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pure light green for the walls - both serene and refreshing. 

Esteemed Contributor

I recently redid my master bath. I used Benjamin Moore Aura Bath & Spa paint in a color like what you have described: Ocean Air. White fixtures, painted the large double vanity a medium gray. The Aura product was more expensive but the excellent quality for a room exposed to water and moisture justified the upcharge. Light and neutral, a "watery" color. My room is pretty large, with no windows. I am pleased with this paint and color.

Good luck with your bathroom renovation and enjoy the end result!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Although I prefer the BM Aura bath & spa paint, honorable mention colors go to Sherwin-Williams Sea Salt (neutral w/a touch of green) Krypton and Tinsmith: gray with a drop of blue. Used this in my kitchen a couple of months ago. Not as stone cold as some grays but still entirely neutral. Love it!

I believe I brought home every gray chip in the store (dozens!) before choosing Tinsmith.

Trusted Contributor

I might try a pale lavender (something with a bit of blue in it) or a pale blue.  

Respected Contributor

I would go with a really soft grey on all the walls except one then I would put the pop of color as an accent wall.

Honored Contributor

Light aqua is good but make sure it's not too green.