Esteemed Contributor

I need a step stool to do laundry!!

I had to get a new washer.  I didn't want to schlep around stores so I had DD go to a couple of places and take pictures and we checked reviews online.  Finally I got sick of reading "i love it" and the next review was "I hate it" on the same washer.

I gave her money and said go buy one.  It's a Maytag, that stupid HE stuff, and it's

okay, except getting things from the bottom of the tub is nuts.

There were a couple pair of socks in the bottom and I had to get a small stool and still had my ribs pushing against it to grab them.

Not everyone is tall or has arms so long your knuckles drag on the ground. The only saving grace is we don't have a ton of laundry.

Regular Contributor

Re: I need a step stool to do laundry!!

I also have a stool to get into my washer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My friend just got a new HE washer and says the same thing.  She got one of those grab sticks to get the laundry out.  She never thought about reaching in when she was looking at them.  She's tall and has long arms.  She likes it otherwise.

My sister has one, but she bought hers a few years ago.  Hers isn't deep like that.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Retired Legal Secretary - I have the same problem—silicone-tipped tongs work great for reaching down and grabbing that errant sock or washcloth.  Smiley Wink

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I have the same problem at my DD house, can't reach the bottom of her washer. It's a LG.

Respected Contributor

I recently got a Maytag, one with that stupid HE stuff - and it won't spin the clothes dry every time....I usually have to reset it to drain and spin.  Not happy about that, costs a pretty penny !

Esteemed Contributor

Rubbermaid is your best choice.  Sturdy - a one level and they also have a style that gives you a step up - another step up and perhaps a third.  They don't slide on the floor either.  Other stools can be light-weight plastic.  

(I also have a       deep tub   but no problem digging to the bottom)

Honored Contributor

My washer broke down last November right before Thanksgiving.  I went out by myself and brought a new one that very night.

I am 5'1" and after checking out many different makes and models, I chose one that I can reach all the way in to the bottom.

I would be frustrated if I had to use a step stool to do laundry

Honored Contributor

We switched to a front loader LG about 3 years ago and I love it because I am short.  I hated the old HE top loader we had and that was one of the reasons, plus it was always off balance with a large load, and a number of other issues I've posted about.

I am sorry you all are having this issue, because I remember how awful and frustrating it was!  I hope you find a solution!  

Esteemed Contributor

I'm glad it's not just me.  It washes well but you could crack a rib getting stuff out.  I have a grabber thing but I will get another strictly for the washer.  

The next thing is a frig.  I got a side by side years ago and I hate it. It's huge.  Back then I cooked a lot more and hosted holidays and it seemed like a good idea.

I want a simple frig with a top freezer, no H2o/ice in the door.  Now that it's just DD and I not much cooking is done and I don't need a lot of freezer space. We both tend to graze instead of eating big meals.  Food just isn't appealing anymore.