Honored Contributor

I may have over-extended myself this time, lol.

This realization has been creeping up on me for a week or so, but today it is beginning to really hit home. 5 weeks from today I am hosting the first of 2 family reunions, this one will be at my home. Then a short 3 weeks after that, the 2nd family reunion, rented a hall for this one, but people will come to my house afterwards to swim. Then about a week after that....a Total Eclipse of the Sun Pool Party. What was I thinking, lol.

I still have a couple major projects in various stages of completion to get done. Oh well, I have promised myself this will be my last year of hosting family reunions, that torch is getting passed to the next generation, and there won't be another total eclipse in my lifetime.

Time to work on my lists of things to do, big time. Once I fine tune my lists, things move along much more smoothly for me.

I'm sure everything will get done, just hope I'm still physically capable of enjoying them all.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Re: I may have over-extended myself this time, lol.

@Snicks1  Take it easy on yourself...maybe leave off a couple of your projects.Ask someone for a little help too.

Honored Contributor

You have a lot on your plate, but all events seem like a lot of fun!! Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

I just wish I had such an exciting social life.  Get yourself organized and you'll be fine.  Better call in the "next generation" as apprentices to help. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Good luck and have fun~!!

I did it four years ago!  Had relatives sleeping on floors (air beds), at Motels and one at the local RV park.  It was fun but it was a lot of work.  I was sitting amongst the turmoil and someone said "Are you alright?"  Apparently I was sitting there was a completely blank look on my face.... LOL!

I'm not a big social butterfly and never have been.  I love doing for family and it was great having them all together again.... but I was tired and was probably sleeping awake.  Anyway, that's my last time.....  fun but done!  Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I will have some limited, help on at least one of the projects. So that will help, greatly. I do think it will all be fun and am looking forward to each occasion, just was daydreaming, I guess, that I still had all kinds of time, lol.
Honored Contributor

@Snicks1 Every year for every holiday and well...you name it everyone came to my house.  I have a very large family (and some that just showed up).  One Thanksgiving I had over 60 people!  For a Thanksgiving dinner!  

My late husband loved hosting these things even though he was responsible for cleaning the lawn furniture....that's it...Ha!  I didn't mind, I just did it.  He was an amazing man and it was one of the few things I could do for him.

His birthday is tomorrow.  We'd be celebrating his birthday and Father's Day if he were alive today.

Anyway, I feel your pain.  Those dinners are a kind of blur except for the time (Christmas Eve) and some of the kids stopped up 2 of my toilets...then there was the time my little sister was tripped (accident??) by her nenemisis (my niece) and the two (yes 2) plates she was holding went flying (full of food)....Ahhhh!!! memories...Ha!

After he died I stopped having these gatherings and what do you think?  If you are guessing no one else stepped up...you'd be right.... There are a few very small ones here and there but not like I used to do.

I don't regret them and people still talk about them, but I'm 70 and prefer to sit on my fanny on a day like this and watch TV with my cats....

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, then you know exactly what I'm saying here, lol. I will be 67 this fall, so no spring chicken here, but in limited quantities, I don't mind doing this for family, and no one else steps up. I will officially be asking that someone, at each reunion , agree to host the next and letting them know it's my last time.

I hosted all the family gatherings since I was in my mid 30's and for my husband's side also, after he and I got married and his mom passed. It's time.

Honored Contributor

@Snicks1 I certainly know what you're saying (I think other's here also understand...been there...done that).

You MUST stick to your words!  Ha!  Don't be surprised if it fizzles out though.  Hopefully it won't because not enough families do it these days.  I used to have family bring different things, like rolls, paper plates, etc.

Sounds like a good idea, but they'd forget whatever it was, so when they'd say, "What can I bring?"  I'd say, "Just yourself is plenty good".  I could hear the sigh of relief in their voice.  Ha!  Then my dear sweet (she really was) wonderful sister-in-law would bring sausage balls.  I know some people eat them, but my nephew used to have a business where he stuffed things (I forget what it's called) and he'd go into detail talking about it.  After that (and knowing he lived with my brother and sister-in-law) no one ever ate a sausage ball again (mystery meat we called it).  Ha!  

My dear Mother would use the event to clean out her refrigerator.....there'd be green and brown things growing on whatever it was (we'd try to guess but no one won the guessing game because no one would taste it).  Ha!

I won't go on (although I could) tell you some funny things that would happen.  I have the most wonderful, crazy family.  It beats any family you'd see on TV.  Many of them (the troubled ones) have passed away, but there's still some who make life (we'll call it 'interesting).

Again, stick to your words, when you are sitting and enjoying a meal made by someone else, you'll be glad.

Respected Contributor

@Snicks1, I feel for you.  My mother and I do three big dinners every Christmas.  We have to split family events because otherwise there are just too many people.  Like you, I live by my lists and schedule.  That's the only way I can make it through.  I hope all of your events go smoothly.