Honored Contributor

I'm perplexed what to do (Inferior quality furniture)

[ Edited ]

long story short -- awhile ago I posted about a segment I saw on our local news about how in FL the furniture stores were selling "pleather" furniture as "leather".....well, it's happened to me now!!! The pics are speaking for themselves I'm so annoyed -- this couch and loveseat was $2,490.

I contacted Rooms To Go. Very nicely they told me to put in a claim, I did, today I got my reply. 

They will PICK UP both pieces and give me a $800 prorated credit (these pieces are 16 months old!)

image.jpegimage.jpeg

This is the seat portion, I was trying to upload the worse the back but won't upload.

Im thinking this is not right -- they claim was "manufacturers defect" only guaranteed for 1 year but they are committed to customer satisfaction!😳I think this is terrible they sold me a piece of ******!!! My invoice states "leather".  

Honestly, I know furniture today is "disposable in a few years & no quality" as years ago. These pieces are by subsidiary of Flexsteel -- I still have the tags on them ( I guess I never saw them to snip them off). 

Opinions please as they aren't giving me Ca$h as I paid but store credit so I can't even go to another store offering REAL leather.  (I would really like to call our local tv news investigative reporter and get a full refund!)

Thank you! I always get better level headed advice here because right now I'm just "fuming!!!"😁😁😁😁😁

Super Contributor

Re: I'm perplexed what to do (Inferior quality furniture)

That's a big financial hit. 

I once made a very large mistake by trusting someone to payback a (huge) loan.  She never did.  The anger and resentment drove me to seek counseling.   The therapist told me to admit and accept that I was wronged and accept it as my mistake.  Her advice to me was once I do this, I will learn and accept that I need to move on.  Can you?

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1--Was your sofa sold as 100% leather, or Leather on seat and back?  Is the sofa worn off in the sections where you are always rubbing on seat,legs?  Leather applied to poly base.  An $800.00 credit is a slap in the face, it should be CASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!This sucks.  Check over everything about your sale,  if it is claimed to be 100%, and it is not, call the station.

Is it Room Store or Ashley? 1 of them has filed for bankruptcy.  Good Luck!!!!------------tedEbear

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1---OKAY, now I see, what you were sitting on IS leather.  What the LEATHER was applied to is a polyester base, so, you purchased a leather, polyester sofa. It is not FAUX LEATHER, IT is a combo of leather applied to a poly base.---------Again, Good Luck-tedEbear

Super Contributor

You shouldn't give up yet.  Go in person and talk to the manager one more time.  This is fraud; this isn't a mistake you made.  If that fails, see what you can do through an attorney or even contact the local news' consumer reporter. Good luck. 

Honored Contributor

This is just so wrong, and contacting a lawyer is an option, but will most likely just cost more than it will be worth.

If you have an invoice that says leather, and you can prove it isn't, take a copy to the store and 'threaten' them with a law suit.

I'm surprised when you say this manufacturer is a subsidiary of Flexsteel. I have had their furniture in the past, and it was great (but none of that matters anymore, as everyone is cheapening things). Maybe contact the manufacturer or Flexsteel directly and see if they might do anything for you.

Sometimes getting in touch with just the right person in the right position, and handling oneself in just the right way gets amazing results. Sure wouldn't hurt to try. 

Either way, this just isn't right, and I'd never do business with that store again, and I'd be all over any FB page for the store or the manufacturer with pictures and complaints.

Hope things work out better for you than it seem like now.

Honored Contributor

PS: my husband said chalk it up to a bad purchase and let it go!!!!!

ugh!!!

@IndiaRose: I can but its just I'm big on the principle of being duped is agitating and I've done the same as you -- I'd be dead before I heard from that person again ($$). That I did chalk up to friends & $ don't mix!

Honored Contributor

It sounds to me like the store misrepresented the product.  You're entitled to a cash refund, pro-rated perhaps for the 16 months you've owned it (is it out of warranty?).  If you can't get satisfaction from the retailer, I'd contact the State Attorney General's office, Office of Consumer Protection, or the like.  Contacting the local TV news team might help too, of course.

Honored Contributor

@tedEbear

You are right I think. The description on my invoice says "San Carlo Sectional Leather" and to think I paid another $100 for "leather protection".

Hmmmmm I wonder what I was protecting???? 

image.jpeg

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1  Have you considered filing a complaint with your state's Attorney General?

Edited to add:  @ValuSkr Sorry, I did not see your post before submitting my own.  "Great minds" thinking alike?Woman Embarassed

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.