Super Contributor

I'm obsessed with trays and crates lately~are you?

Recently I received the large Bevern crate from Decor Steals dot com and I really love it. It was $34.50 with shipping. It's a large vintage crate that was used to display & carry grapes from the vineyard, and comes from Bevern, Belgium. I am still thinking about what to display in it and where. Right now I have it on a coffee table in my living room and it is still empty. My 90 year old mom looked at it yesterday and said: " I don't know why anyone would want that, but it would sell really well if you want to get rid of it" I am still laughing about her comment. Do you think she liked it? (smile). How would you use this grape crate? It is 21.5" wide, 15" deep and 7" high. Here is a photo of the crate:

/></p> <p>The below crate is today's offering on Decor Steals dot com. I caved and purchased it too. It comes to $34.50 with shipping. 26

/></p>

Honored Contributor

Re: I'm obsessed with trays and crates lately~are you?

I have some trays that I bought maybe 2 years ago from QVC. They are plastic but work really well.

They aren't neat looking like your picture. They have inserts for the drink and one for the dish. It is kinda like a piece of rubber that sticks (no elastic) on the tray and keeps things from sliding. It is great for someone who's too sick to eat at the table or if you have children and want them to have a treat.

Go over to HSN. They have some different shelves and things like that.

My guess is that you are creative person. Most of the things I mentioned are not for someone who wants to decorate, just use the stuff.

You remind me of my friend Jeanne who is an artist. She is on the internet and paints in watercolors. I used to tell her she could hang up a pan and it would look amazing!

Then she said, "Come here". I came in her kitchen and she had hanging on the wall pots and pans and it was amazing!

I like the idea there are creative people like you in the world. You make it more interesting.

Annabelle!

Super Contributor

I use a lot of open crates/trays in my house to store things especially in the kitchen. I have open wire shelving and like the look of baskets. I store fruit in trays and keep canned pet food in tall, open basket-like crates. It makes it all easy to put away after going to the market as well as convenient to use. Plus you can always see how much you have on hand!

Valued Contributor

Love both of the trays Rosehill but really love the whitewashed one. Awesome! You will have so much fun with these. I also love the comment your mother made. Too funny. Sounds like something my girls would say when they are telling me I have too much ""stuff""! Not sure how I would use them but I'm thinking very much like whitelinen posted on that other thread. I'm really liking the painted mason jars that you can find on Etsy. I might use those in the first crate. Did you find some hearts that you liked?

Honored Contributor

I like the tray! I'd probably put some candles in it along with tall candle holders of different heights. Different heights will give the tray more interest. Or you could also add clear glass containers filled with colored stones, old beads, etc to add color. I love to decorate.

Some sparkly things are still up in my house, sometime in Feb, I'll get it put away and bring out some new things to decorate with.

Super Contributor

Very nice! Thanks for the tip. I, too, have a thing for trays. One can never have enough, right? Wink

Honored Contributor

Great look!! I have 2 old crates on a table downstairs, that holds my overload of groceries. I have 2 old boxes that I use too, downstairs. Think they were both my over 100 yr. old grandmother's. I love them!!

Valued Contributor

Valued Contributor

Super Contributor

On 1/25/2014 mallemo said:

Love both of the trays Rosehill but really love the whitewashed one. Awesome! You will have so much fun with these. I also love the comment your mother made. Too funny. Sounds like something my girls would say when they are telling me I have too much "stuff"! Not sure how I would use them but I'm thinking very much like whitelinen posted on that other thread. I'm really liking the painted mason jars that you can find on Etsy. I might use those in the first crate. Did you find some hearts that you liked?

Hey mallemo~ I didn't find any hearts that struck me on ebay or etsy. Trouble is, I like the ones featured on confessions of a plate addict. I am going to brave the cold today and go out and poke around locally to see if I can find any. I will report back in this evening!