Honored Contributor

Re: I'm looking for an area rug for our living room. Help!

@Katcat1 wrote:

@this is my nic  Today (Sat.) rugs are 30% off and free shipping at Pottery Barn.

@Katcat1  @this is my nic 

Usually find several I like at PB.  

Have always liked the ones I’ve purchased from them.

Have you tried clipping just the tips of kitty’s front nails?  Not a sure thing, but works on some.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@this is my nic  Some ideas for you... Overstock has lots of rugs, as does the home decor division of Home Depot (forgot what they call it, but should be accessible by the regular website) and Target also shows some nice looking rugs  both in the store and online. As for material, I too prefer wool but replaced all wool living and dining rugs with synthetic fabric rugs and they look, feel and wear fine. I'll use the nice wool rugs again, but was ready for a change. Even some of the outdoor rugs look great and are practical indoors. I'm currently using one in the kitchen. I'd also mention that while it can be seasonal in some stores and feast or famine, TJ Maxx, Marshall's and Homegoods often have nice rugs. Also, if there's a newer Home Sense store nearby, they supposedly have a nice rug selection, though I've not yet been to a store.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Drythe  My kitty has declawed front paws.  The OP is the one with kitty that loves rugs.  My kitty loves rattan that I have here and there and still thinks she has front claws.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

I would also recommend Pottery Barn's rugs. I have had four of them and they have held up very well over the years. The natural wool rugs sheds a lot, but over time the amount of shedding has reduced significantly. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have dogs. I like the Veranda line of rugs on QVC . These feel like a rug not a mat and last. They are a tight weave so I'm not sure if that works with cats. 

I have found budget friendly rugs at BBB, Pier 1 and AtHome.  I swear by the microfiber rugs. There are all types of weaves and are durable. AtHome has quite a few sales. Websites for BBB and Pier 1 have more than what is available in their stores. 

Hope you have luck with one of those.