Honored Contributor

I love sparkling clean windows!

Just cleaned  most all of my windows and I'm exhausted. When you have clean windows, everything else just seems clean, too...even though it's not...lol!Woman LOL

Outside windows on the second floor are always a challenge. I bought one of those long expandable extension poles to reach up there. Beats the heck out of climbing my ladder!

Do you do your own windows or do you hire someone to do them?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I love sparkling clean windows!

DH does the outside and I do the inside.  We have hired it done and that is a real treat.  We hire our apartment window washing to be done, too.

Do you have a special washing solution that you use?  My DH swears by just hot, hot water.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee I do my own windows.   I take down the sheers and drapes, wash the sheers, shake out the drapes,   wipe all around the window, wipe down the blinds and wash the windows.  

I like when everything is all put back in order and is nice and clean. 

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Esteemed Contributor

ITA, I am a clean window maniac.  DH and I always did our own in our home.  When we downsized to a townhouse we used the cleaning company that  hire here to have the windows done, well we did it only once.   We actually do a better job than they did so I said I am not paying them again, we went back to doing it ourselves.  Not too bad with two people, at least we have a lot less windows now than before!   

I use a mixture of white vinegar, rubbing alcohol, warm water and a bit of Pine Sol.

2  cups of the vinegar

1 cup alcohol

1 cup warm water

1 tbsp Pine Sol

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   I love clean sparkling windows.  The best window cleaner is Sparkle, ammonia free, no streaks.  Since I am in an apt.  I can only clean the sliding glass doors but since I am sick right now, I can't do them.  Unfortunately, I can only clean the bedroom's inside windows.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

On the inside I use Invisible Glass (in the pump bottle). On the outside I have a rectangular bucket , made for a window washer/squeegee thingee which goes on the end of my long pole, and I put about a gallon of water, 2 cups vinegar and 1 tablespoon Dawn in that bucket.  Squeegee off the windows and they are streak-free. 

I took off all the screens, cleaned them and the window tracks/sills. Then I did the glass last. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My condo Association hires professional window cleaners. They use a cherry picker/crane so they can jump out to  access our balcony windows/doors.

For a fee, they will also do the inside of our condo, but my husband actually likes to wash windows so we decline that add-on. I think his magic formula is amonia, vinegar and water. He might also add a bit of Dawn dishsoap?

Esteemed Contributor

I do mine with a hose and a Don Aslett's microfiber mop!  Easy peasy!

Trusted Contributor

We clean our own.  I call dibs on the inside during the spring/summer, while

hubby is outside, in the heat.and on ladder.Woman Happy

Use equal parts vinegar/water.

Respected Contributor

Which cloth or paper towels do you all use for the cleaning?  I used to be able to clean windows well, but suddenly it seems impossible.  Streaks, lint, etc.  I just don't understand it!  What changed?  Would really appreciate your tips.  I was using windex, which has served me well in the past - is it possible that's no longer the same?  Or maybe I need a particular brand of paper towel?  Or?