Trusted Contributor

Re: I love scented candles, my weakness

@qualitygal wrote:

I use soy, and the one's I'm getting, he told how to put the flame out and then turn over the candle. @Teddie, lthat's supposed to tend to any soot.

Thanks, @qualitygal I've tried the soy ones, also. I'm pretty sure my candles were emitting soot while they burned. I'm wondering how you turn the candle over. Wouldn't the wax drip and make a mess if it's upside down?

Honored Contributor

@Teddie wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

I use soy, and the one's I'm getting, he told how to put the flame out and then turn over the candle. @Teddie, lthat's supposed to tend to any soot.

Thanks, @qualitygal I've tried the soy ones, also. I'm pretty sure my candles were emitting soot while they burned. I'm wondering how you turn the candle over. Wouldn't the wax drip and make a mess if it's upside down?

Probably supposed to let it cool down first. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

I used to love candles, and still have tons, but find myself burning only a couple a year most of the time. 

I got tired of the soot, many brands that I used to like now give me a headache or just don't smell like they used to (I think they all have cheapened what they use).

My big break up with real candles came when I found flameless. That and when I woke up one morning and found I'd left a real candle burning when I went to bed.

Sometimes I like to fragrance the home, and have that real candle glow, but I simply don't use them like I used to.

@Mominohio

I love candles both real and flameless.  I only burn real candles in one place on a bookshelf that is safely away from my kitties' curiosity  (they are not jumpers and cant reach)............But I love the fragrance.........especially after Ive cleaned house and everythig is looking nice and that candle scent and glow just makes it feel like a real home. 

A friend of mine was just commenting about the headache, she used to love the BB&W candles but she said lately they have been giving her a sinus headache.  When Harry Slatkin was on he even mentioned this in one of this presentations that some companies use artificial fragrances instead of natural oils which causes some people to have an allergy type reaction.   I am anxious to see if the Slatkin candles with their natural oils eliminate the problem and the soot too.  I am confident his brand wont have the wick drowning or too quick burning that Ive experinced with the BBW brand after Harry left and White Barn took it over..........Anxious to try these new candles. 

My big gripe about flameless are the batteries and with every new batch Luminara seems to have less and less of a battery life

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal

Im with you quality girl..........I LOVE candles Heart both real and flameless!!!  

With Yankee Candle I love Storm Watch (it seems to be one of the few that YC makes that keeps its scent and this one has a clean different scent that I love!!)

I did enjoy the Cheerful Giver they have a good scent and do last a good while, but they seem to be out of the scent I like.....

I normally buy BB&W but have been unhappy with drownig wicks and how quickly they burn down---for that price I expect more and do use coupons when I can. 

I love scents for all the seasons but with BBW I love the Georgia Peach and Peach Bellini---but the problem is once the season ends you cant buy the until next year and sometimes they dont bring a scent back.   I do like some of their floral scents but not the super sweet ones.  And I love the fall the pumpkin/cinnamon and pastry scents too.....of course I like the winter scents ---Balsam, Winter, Peppermint, Cranberry....

I ordered some of Harry Slatkin candles and are anxious to get them to smell the scents and see how his candles do!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Renata22 wrote:

Oh I do!  I ordered way too many things today from Harry's show. I'll have to go and look through what I ordered & make some cuts. I want to smell every scent when they start talking about them! 

I went to Pier 1 yesterday and just enjoyed all the pretty fall merchandise. They have some delicious candles, too! I couldn't make any decisions so didn't buy anything. Made up for it today, though. 😋

@Renata22

I recently visited Pier 1 and their fall candles smelled so good and they were on sale too, but I had already ordered too many from Harry.......

Honored Contributor

Valerie Parr Hill said in one of her shows, that to look for 100 % Soy Candles, they burn cleaner, longer and have much less soot than traditonal candles.......Another alternative if you love the scent, but don't want to burn candles is to buy one of the melters, and buy melts, no smoke, and no soot. I use them all the time, but I still do love a scented candle as well....  

Honored Contributor

@Grade1Teach wrote:

I love candles too!  I have been using candles in my home since I started watching QVC (2002 or so?) and Valerie used to have all of those beautiful jar candles, cake candles, and candles in baskets.

My love of candles grew to Yankee Candle and then Slatkin& Co. from BBW.  I have dabbled in other candle companies as well -- Kringle Candles, Virginia Candles, Scentsy melts, etc.  I'm still a fan of YC and an occasional BBW candle.  I LOVE Harry Slatkin, but haven't purchased any of his new stuff yet.  I've decided to wait on some reviews in September when shipments start to go out.

I used to have a "candle closet" before I had children.  Now, I just have a "candle rack," sorted according to seasons.  I don't buy nearly as many candles as I used to because I don't have time to burn them as often.  I try to buy for each season in advance, use those up, and then start again for the next season.  Right now I have some candles for fall, but I know I'll need a few more!

@Grade1Teach

My question is how did some of Harry's candles get reviews when they arent shipping until 2nd or 3rd week in Sept....unless they were in one of QVC's local stores??????

Honored Contributor

@LIG1 wrote:

@qualitygal~ Love candles too, I burn one daily. I know everyone has their faves..the Cheerful Giver candles are some that I love the most! 

https___www.acheerfulgiver.com_media_catalog_product_cache_1_small_image_9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95_j_u_juicy-apple.jpghttps___www.acheerfulgiver.com_media_catalog_product_cache_1_small_image_270x270_9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95_a_u_autumn-orchards-baby-pumpkin.jpg

@LIG1

I do like Cheerful Giver too....and I think the Papa jar is a good buy and the candles smell good and last too..............

Valued Contributor

@LIG1 Juicy Apple is my and my husband's favorite candle ever!!!!  Cheer Givers do a lot of nice candles and burn very well, and a good cause.  I really like other candles including Harry's but again Juicy Apple is my # 1 !

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I love scented candles.  I burn constantly when I am home.

Tea lights used to be my thing, but now I'm into jar candles.  I am a little low right now(!)  - I only have 38 (thirty-eight) 16 oz candles in reserve, though also a few stacks of 30 tea lights, and about 2 dozen mini jars for my night stand.

I love to buy when my grocer discounts out-of-season items.

I've also recently discovered the "wick dipper" for extinguishing (better than taking them outside to smoke).

Cogito ergo sum