Honored Contributor

I love home decor 'basics' for their versatility

In many of our efforts to pare down, declutter, and reduce the amount of space given to off season storage of home decor items, I notice I have a number of basic home decor items that can function as the starting point for many different vignettes or displays and work perfect for any season or holiday.

Baskets.....be they country or modern, simple or ornate, they can be filled with pumpkins and gourds in the fall, greens and pine cones (with micro lights too) for holiday/winter, dish towels on the counter in the kitchen, extra towels in the bathroom, books or magazines in the family room and the list goes on. I think baskets are a great home decor items that has infinite uses.

Lanterns.....preaching to the choir here, I know, as many of you love them more than I, but again, the perfect vessel to fill with any number of seasonal items, and they definitely don't always have to include a candle. The same lantern can look totally differently depending on what it is filled with.

Trays.....not often thought of, but I have a number of trays, and they add a nice base layer for building a vignette. I often use one to create a grouping on my dining table, because when I need to use the center of the table, they are easy to pick up and move the whole thing, all at once, not piece by piece.

Birdcages/wire cages....function much like a lantern, but often has more room inside to create a display

Wooden bowl/ceramic bowl.....great for more than the kitchen. I often use one to put Christmas cards in from special people in my past. Of course the usual uses for fruits, a collection of vintage Christmas ornaments, or I like to fill one with clove studded oranges during the holidays.

Anyone else have some basic standard home decor items that they use over and over for all seasons and ideas?

Respected Contributor

Re: I love home decor 'basics' for their versatility

I like your post. 

My plain off-white Candle Impressions have green gingham ribbons around them.  The green is such that it works for all seasons. Fall, Christmas season, spring, and summer. 

I like trays too.  You can lean them up against things.  They are not expensive, and some of the plastic ones are beautiful.  Also--The cat eats on one; catches the spilled food.

Books, you can read them, keep the ones with pretty covers or are just favorites for decor.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most of my decor is season specific, but many candle holders can stay out all year, I just put different candle rings on them and different candles.

I have two sets of Valeries double bird cages on the island.  For Christmas, I put Valerie's chirping Cardinals in each cage, and insert Christmas greenery in the bottom, for Spring, I put her chirping Bluebirds and nests with eggs in the cages, and for Fall I put the chirping Sparrows and Goldgfinches in the cages with Fall leaves, etc.

Honored Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

I like your post. 

My plain off-white Candle Impressions have green gingham ribbons around them.  The green is such that it works for all seasons. Fall, Christmas season, spring, and summer. 

I like trays too.  You can lean them up against things.  They are not expensive, and some of the plastic ones are beautiful.  Also--The cat eats on one; catches the spilled food.

Books, you can read them, keep the ones with pretty covers or are just favorites for decor.

I love books too, for all those reasons. I have an old school book in particular that goes from being a nice Christmas addition to just any season because of the shade of red of the cover. When it comes to old books, they can be stacked as a riser, used on an old school desk, books shelf and other things. When it comes to home decor, I really do judge a book by it's cover, and have many that work well into vignettes throughout my home.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

In many of our efforts to pare down, declutter, and reduce the amount of space given to off season storage of home decor items, I notice I have a number of basic home decor items that can function as the starting point for many different vignettes or displays and work perfect for any season or holiday.

Baskets.....be they country or modern, simple or ornate, they can be filled with pumpkins and gourds in the fall, greens and pine cones (with micro lights too) for holiday/winter, dish towels on the counter in the kitchen, extra towels in the bathroom, books or magazines in the family room and the list goes on. I think baskets are a great home decor items that has infinite uses.

Ahhhh. Baskets.  Reminds me of the Peterboro Baskets shows I enjoyed so much back in the day.  So many good vendors no longer on the Q.  Smiley Sad

~Quack 

Respected Contributor

I completely agree with you , about baskets especially.I have collected so many baskets over the years and every time I have scaled down, my baskets are the one thing that I just can't part with. Big collection of all different sizes. I love how easy they are to decorate with.

Another favorite is good quality faux greenery for the different seasons.

Esteemed Contributor

I like candles and candle sticks. Can use them in a group or placed here and there...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Azcowgirl wrote:

I completely agree with you , about baskets especially.I have collected so many baskets over the years and every time I have scaled down, my baskets are the one thing that I just can't part with. Big collection of all different sizes. I love how easy they are to decorate with.

Another favorite is good quality faux greenery for the different seasons.

@Azcowgirl

I do have to say that my only faux greenery is for winter/holiday. 

Thanks for the reminder/suggestion that it does exist for other seasons, and my next trip to town, I think I'll investigate some seasonless ivy and such and see how I can work it in to some of the things I do. 

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I like candles and candle sticks. Can use them in a group or placed here and there...

@Nataliesgramma

I do have some candle sticks, and don't use them often. No reason other than I don't think of them. I have a nice little collection of Baldwin Brass ones, that I love, and you have inspired me to get them out and use them more. Thanks for the reminder!

Respected Contributor

Good point.  Books make great risers for objects which need a little more height.  I've used them with Candle Impressions.