Honored Contributor

I have got to get rid of too much saved papers I've been saving.

It just seems to spawn and grow!!!!  So, this is going to be worse than pulling teeth. I realize that a lot of stuff I keep seems to be some deep-seated thoughts on "in case I need this down the road". I did see an article that gave 4 things to ask yourself and it made a lot of sense.  I really need to do this. It also said, do it for 15 minutes, some of which is to shred what needs to be shredded. It was a good article and I plan to get started.

Ok, got the cookbooks thinned out and down, and I see how badly this is needed. Mostly for starters this is just my saving section.

Wonder if anyone else has this or a similar mission to carry out or just get started on?

Honored Contributor

Re: I have got to get rid of too much saved papers I've been saving.

I lean the opposite and wish I hadn't tossed away paperwork. The key may be to put things in labeled folders and then in a filing cabinet.  

Honored Contributor

@AuntG, well, that I've done, and what I don't want to do, is to keep filing, and finding places to store the files, and then on and on it goes. I think there's things I just held on to for me. I see now, there's no need to keep some of this stuff!!! Day of reconning.

Honored Contributor

Just pick a day and gather all of your papers together and go through them, one at a time.  Shred what you need to shred and keep what you need to keep.

You'll feel so much better for getting it done.  I keep very little paper.  Bank statements and things needed for taxes.  That's it.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@qualitygal, I certainly do! I have way to many papers saved for exactly the reason you stated, "in case I need this down the road." I retired in June 2015 and vowed I would be diligent about this but have only done it haphazardly. I seem to get so much mail! Dh will be eligible for Medicare soon and the info comes in volumns!!! Some I shred and some I save. Most days my kitchen table looks like I'm in the middle of some big project...lol! I keep a basket to put saved papers in until I can file and sort them. Well, seems the basket gets full, then they go to a bag and into my one storage area until I can get to them(especially if I know I'm going to have company over). Now I have several bags to go through. It just goes on and on and on...

By the way, what we are the four things you should ask yourself that you read about? This year I'm going to do this!😀

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Starpolisher,

First, is there a SPECIFIC circumstance where this info would be useful again? And I added, vs. "I might (50/50) need it later?

Then, How hard is it to get this info again, if needed? This seems to be a very good point.

Then How recent and up to date is this info? Another good point.

Then, is it worth my time to file all this paper and have to deal with it again?

A long time ago, I read The One Minute Manager about paper things. (I was always in an office in the last jobs I had). But for my own at home use, it said, touch each piece of paper once and decide if you keep it or throw it away. I need to go back to that.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

Just pick a day and gather all of your papers together and go through them, one at a time.  Shred what you need to shred and keep what you need to keep.

You'll feel so much better for getting it done.  I keep very little paper.  Bank statements and things needed for taxes.  That's it.

I could never do all I have in one day!...lol Even my filing cabinets need to be done. I often feel overwhelmed with all these papers and trying to find places for them! Not to mention, I have saved every card that dh and ds' have given me in the last 42 years including the one's from my wedding, my bridal and baby showers and congrats on ds' births. What's a "sentimental girl" to do!

I need some intervention...lol!😉

I once asked my youngest son what he was going to do with the cards when I'm gone to which he replied, "Ma, what you should do. Throw them away!" Now we joke about how I'm leaving them to him in the will to dispose of.😀

This past mother's day he gave me a very big card(about 8.5X11)he said so I couldn't save it. Well, of course I found a place to store it...geesh, I do need help!😱

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Esteemed Contributor

Too funny.

My Mom use to fuss forever about my Dad have papers saved everywhere.

I have my Dad's gene's but try to make an effort every couple of months even if it's just a couple.

Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

I could never do all I have in one day!...lol Even my filing cabinets need to be done. I often feel overwhelmed with all these papers and trying to find places for them! Not to mention, I have saved every card that dh and ds' have given me in the last 42 years including the one's from my wedding, my bridal and baby showers and congrats on ds' births. What's a "sentimental girl" to do!

I need some intervention...lol!😉

I once asked my youngest son what he was going to do with the cards when I'm gone to which he replied, "Ma, what you should do. Throw them away!" Now we joke about how I'm leaving them to him in the will to dispose of.😀

This past mother's day he gave me a very big card(about 8.5X11)he said so I couldn't save it. Well, of course I found a place to store it...geesh, I do need help!😱

On that big card, frame it. Tell your son that's what you've decided to do with all your stuff now. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Just think if your profession is in education!

We've recently cleaned out my Mom's papers. She saved every one! My DH was shredding for weeks! She now has a compact file with just the most important things.

I teach college classes, and I, too, have been cutting down on papers! I put all the tests on-line, except for one, which I wanted students to share their answers. And, I've had other paper-cutting ideas.

But for the home, I think the most junk papers I have is recipes. How can you possibly part with recipes your aunt or mother hand-wrote?