Honored Contributor

Re: I guess I should be happy -- Washing Machine lasted 6 vs 5 years🙃

[ Edited ]

My experience has been that appliances use to last, but this no longer has been true.    I purchased a top of the line all stainless GE and couldn't wait get rid of it.....gave it to the guys who delivered the new LG which I love, we'll see how long it lasts. I've had it two years and so far all is well.   I've also replaced the microwave, dishwasher, stove, washer/dryer.   I'm sure you will do lots of research, best of luck with your new washer!  

My best advice is hang on to the old appliances if they are still working.  They are workhorses...mine lasted many years.  The replacements....not so.

Honored Contributor

Thank you all for your replies!  I called my appliance repair man (he lives near me & works 7/24).  

He said it would be $75 to diagnose but sounds to him "digital" board has short as it will fill, drain, etc. but not lock to finish cycle.  The "board" would be $200+ to replace.

Tomorrow I'll go shopping.  Spouse thinks we should buy just "everyday" as paying for machine that has all "bells & whistles" is something we don't need -- I agree.  I take my rugs, quilts, heavy things to laundry mat.

Thanks for the suggestions🙂

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Get a nice basic top loading Whirlpool, not many bells and whistles, trust me it will last!!

@Shelbelle Repairman told me no bells and whistles....only two knobs. 

Respected Contributor

I got the Speed Queen. This has been talked about over and over.

My friend found an appliance shop that buys the older--digital free- types of washers and refurbishes them. They are the types that some of us long for. That is an agitator and the ability to open the lid during the filling.  She literally gave away a new He washer.

Since the computerized washers don't seem to last, maybe we are just going to have to consider then "disposable" What a shame. 

Honored Contributor

I would get the most basic top loading Maytag or Speed Queen. I purchased my Maytag washer/dryer 25 years ago and they are still working. Repair man said to stay away from front loading and digital displays. 

Esteemed Contributor

You said the washing machine was stuck on fill.

Recently, my Whirlpool Washing Machine wouldn't fill when I pressed the button. Turns out, the metal piece in the lid was pushed UP --- should be DOWN --- so it could lock. Not sure if ur problem is the same.

If u have the booklet, see if the "fix" is listed.

You could also call the 800# - hopefully, they can help.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1.  Everyone here on the boards seems to rave about the Speed Queen washer.  I believe someone said it's made in the USA.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Not even "made in the USA" guarantees anything nowadays.  Our Frigidaire freezer was made in the USA and we bought it because of that.  It died at just over 6 years old and we lost everything in it (a lot).

We replaced it with a GE and are hoping for the best.  I won't buy another Frigidaire.

Honored Contributor

@kivah 

yes that was the first thing I checked.  Thank you.

Its definitely the board -- I got the paperwork out and it's gonna be 6 on 6/17-- it wasn't expensive therefore, I'm glad it lasted as long as it did.  Plus, it's a small capacity  (tub size) so I'm gonna get a larger one.

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

@homedecor1 

Maytag Commercial for residential use - MVWP575GW 2018 or 2019.  New on the market as of 2018.  Built like the old long lasting Maytags.  

SpeedQueenTC5000WN 2019 - reintroduced their old long lasting popular style model.  

After watching the ketchup test between the two on YouTube, IMO, the Maytag wins.  Both built very well to last a long time without repairs.  Both top loaders with agitators. 

Edit:

Maytag warranty is 5 years.  Covers parts and labor.  Speed Queen is 3 years.  

Below is the link to one of the latest videos comparing the two washers.  June 7, 2019.  This fellow repairs washers and dryers.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n4VGpsAxnA

@Foxxee  YES, YES, AND YES!!!  In 2018, I had purchased a Matag HE washer.  To make a long story short, the thing never worked right from day one and I had approximately 10 service calls within the one year warranty period.  Finally, two weeks before the warranty expired (1 year period) the washer stopped and Maytag repair deemed it unfixable.  

Thankfully, after contacting Maytag/Whirlpool and with the history record from all the unfixable repairs, they (Maytag/Whirlpool) gave me a full credit for another Maytag/whirlpool washer.  After much research, I decided to pick the Maytag Commercial washer for home use that you referenced above.  What a great choice it was!!!  Back to the basics with an agitator, heavy duty, and two choices of water level..full water and half water, NOT the shot glass of water provided in the HE models.  I LOVE this machine!!  Also, as you  have stated..the warranty is so much longer on this model.  

If you want a excellent, reliable washer like you used to get years ago, this is the one for you!

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!