Respected Contributor

Re: I guess I should be happy -- Washing Machine lasted 6 vs 5 years🙃

My top loading washer is at least 18 years old. My dryer also. They're both Kenmore. My refrigerator, also a Kenmore, is about 15 years old and so is my dishwasher. My dad always told us to buy basic appliances without all the bells and whistles. He use to say "the more bells and whistles it has the more to go wrong with it." I did just replace my stove. It was a GE about 17 years old and two of the burners stopped working. The temperature would only go to high and the oven would only broil and not bake. Dh replaced the parts and  fixed it several times before we replaced it. We replaced it with another GE because it was the only one we could find with the features(basic) and in the color we wanted. I was surprised at how hard it was to find an electric(coil top) stove without a lot of extras and with separate grates and a clock. In the 45 years I've been married, I've never had an appliance that lasted for only 5 or 6 years! I guess when I do replace the ones I have I'll be in for a rude awakening! 

I have a GE refrigerator in my garage that is 38 years old! We bought it when I was expecting my oldest son. It works just fine!  We use both the refrigerator and freezer for things that don't  fit in the one in the kitchen. We did have to replace the gasket once and change the handle from left to right. I guess if companies made things to last the way they use to, they'd go out of business!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran