Honored Contributor

I guess I should be happy -- Washing Machine lasted 6 vs 5 years🙃

I knew it was inevitable as every appliance I bought when I moved in 5 years ago has recently been replaced, except, for stove (sure that's coming next😡).  They were GE.  My fridge is a crappy Samsung (ice maker stopped working after a year).

Now today the washing machine died😡. I bought the Maytag digital sensing & lid lock style in 2014 -- knew it was a big mistake the week I got it.  Today, it stopped working just stuck on fill.

I'm sure since it's "digital" display it will be costly to fix, therefore, tomorrow I'll be looking into a new one.

I only expected it to last 5 years like the others but I got a extra few months out of it!

Suggestions anyone -- I only do a few washes a week & nothing heavy duty.   (Last year I replaced the dryer).  I only want top load style & I'm not sure even reading reviews how good appliances are anymore.

Honored Contributor

Re: I guess I should be happy -- Washing Machine lasted 6 vs 5 years🙃

[ Edited ]

I replaced my defunct Maytag (top of the line Neptune) and my Maytag dishwasher (both died around 6 to 7 years old) with Bosch for both appliances.

That was in 2009.  Both are still working perfectly.  (Knock on wood!)

ETA:  We run the dishwasher pretty much every day.  The washer 2 to 3 times a week, depending.

Honored Contributor

Our washer/dryer set DH and I bought back in early 2000 when we got married...nearly 20 yrs old and both are still going strong. We bought the Kenmore set at Sears and the washer is a top loader. We have maintenance done on the set once a year and that works well for us.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Venezia @homedecor1 , my Bosch appliances are heading on 14 years old and going great.  Duel fuel range and dishwasher.  Just replace Kenmore Elite fridge still working as there is a five week wait to get black delivered.  Who can go five weeks without a fridge?

My washing machine is next to go.  Kenmore Elite.  My appliance repair guy says no LG and no Samsung.  I will probably go with Whirlpool or GE.  

Good luck!   LM

Honored Contributor

Get a nice basic top loading Whirlpool, not many bells and whistles, trust me it will last!!

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Venezia @homedecor1 , my Bosch appliances are heading on 14 years old and going great.  Duel fuel range and dishwasher.  Just replace Kenmore Elite fridge still working as there is a five week wait to get black delivered.  Who can go five weeks without a fridge?

My washing machine is next to go.  Kenmore Elite.  My appliance repair guy says no LG and no Samsung.  I will probably go with Whirlpool or GE.  

Good luck!   LM

@Lilysmom 

That’s what mine says too!

Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette , aren’t we smart to ask them😃!  I love my repairman.  I gave him my old fridge.  He cab probably keep it running forever.  LM

Trusted Contributor

I have all Whirlpool appliances, all close to 30 years.  A couple years ago I had the local Whirlpool company come out to replace a knob on my range that I had to special order direct from Whirlpool.  The guy was so impressed at the condtion everything was in.  He also said, today they only make appliances to last 5 years at the most, and they all scratch very easily.

Could not believe it. 

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1    I have always had great luck with Kenmore appliances. My current  front load washer is a Kenmore and going on 15 years with no problems. My old Kenmore lasted at least 12 years. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 

Maytag Commercial for residential use - MVWP575GW 2018 or 2019.  New on the market as of 2018.  Built like the old long lasting Maytags.  

SpeedQueenTC5000WN 2019 - reintroduced their old long lasting popular style model.  

After watching the ketchup test between the two on YouTube, IMO, the Maytag wins.  Both built very well to last a long time without repairs.  Both top loaders with agitators. 

Edit:

Maytag warranty is 5 years.  Covers parts and labor.  Speed Queen is 3 years.  

Below is the link to one of the latest videos comparing the two washers.  June 7, 2019.  This fellow repairs washers and dryers.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n4VGpsAxnA