Trusted Contributor

Re: I forgot the satisfaction of ironing

[ Edited ]

I've been ironing since I was very young. My mother taught me and I helped at home by ironing my father's business shirts to lighten my mom's responsibilities. I was always very fussy about my own clothes and I still enjoy making the effort to look put together. 

I find ironing very relaxing. Yes, satisfying.  I bought a Rowenta iron (at Costco, before QVC sold 'em) and it made a big difference in efficiency and ease of use. Good ironing needs steady heat and lotsa steam. Rowenta is top quality. Results prove it. 

I feel I am pretty skilled and people do notice my neat clothes. 

Honored Contributor

That is the one chore I absolutely hate.   I would prefer for the iron to move by itself and iron all my clothes then I would be really happy.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

ITA.  OMG I use to love ironing the RL white sheets I had.  They looked like wedding sheets after ironing.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Still Stylish Lady @GingerPeach , when I built my retirement home, I installed a wall unit drop down ironing board as well.  I love it.  I don't iron much but I like it too.  LM

Trusted Contributor

I have always loved to iron.  It made my Mom happy and a lady I cleaned house for as a teenager, I would also do up her ironing.  And quite frankly I find I like my cheap $9 better than my more expensive one.  

Respected Contributor

Nope, nope, nope.

Did enough of that 50 yrs go when I sewed my own clothes in addition to regular ironing,

THIS is what finally did me in!!!  Clean clotrhes, NOT yet ironed.  LOL

cimg0539.jpg

Denise
Honored Contributor

Wow, Im amazed so  many still iron.  If it needs ironing I dont buy it.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I don't mind ironing napkins and flat things (I would never set a table with wrinkled napkins), but I don't like ironing clothes.  The former is kind of a mindless activity, the latter takes some concentration.

Trusted Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

I don't think I've ironed anything for years (and may not for more years to come!), but in addition to my new plaid table throw from Pottery Barn, I ordered a set of matching napkins.

The napkins are a blend of cotton and linen so naturally after washing, they needed to be pressed.

Since that's all I was doing, I didn't have to set up the board and just pressed them on top of a folded dish towel at my kitchen counter.

I'd forgotten how satisfying it is to get wrinkles out!

Now they look like this again:

Anyone else found satisfaction in an infrequently-done chore lately?

@GingerPeach 

Several years ago when I was going through a period of great stress, I discovered the peace of ironing.  I found it very calming to just iron a stack of clothing.  Usually, I will wait until I have a basket of clothes and then just iron away.  I have a drop down ironing board on a door next to the computer so I usually watch Youtube videos while I iron. It's very relaxing and our clothes always look nicer!

Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach Ironing is all yours.  I'll stick to my hand held steamer.  

Polishing my stainless steel cookware and silverplated tea pot and doorknocker relaxes me.  Love to restore the shine but ony need to do it infrequently since I take good care of my pots and pans.