Honored Contributor

Re: I find this rather disgusting

[ Edited ]

Toilets are a disgusting topic!

Unless a toilet is brand new and unused, it's a dirty vessel, imho.

I wear throw-away latex gloves to clean my own daily.  I wipe them down with clorox wipes (store brand) starting with the handle.

I've seen maids wipe toilets off with their bare hands and work from the bottom of the commode (floor) and work their way up to the seat and then the top lid--using the same rag.  (thud)

I hate auto flushing toilets (in public).  If I can, I'll cover the sensor with a tissue seat cover so the darn thing won't flush while I'm still using the lavatory.

I make sure I'm fastened back up and ready to run when I hit that button. Those toilets must have a spray of 12 ft.  I don't want to be in the stall when that things flushing, I'm outta there! 

Public bathrooms--even nice clean ones--give me the heebie jeebies.  I'd never lay my handbag or tote on the floor.  (Fighting words--I know Woman Very Happy)

And I'm the wack-a-doodle that doesn't touch anything with my bare hands.  Love sensored soap dispensers, automatic faucets and paper towel holders.

If a bathroom doesn't have these things, dontcha worry, I'm prepared.Woman LOL

I can't imagine the toilets in any of my homes having that 12 ft. spray--they aren't one of those *fierce flushers*.  

Regular Contributor

Our second home had a powder room right next to the kitchen. I always hated that feature. It was a 2 story and the only bathroom on the first floor. I'm pretty picky about bathrooms. I hate bathrooms that don't have a window. Just a quirky preference of mine.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@151949 I remember being in an old apartment in Manhattan many years ago in which the shower was in the kitchen!  I think plumbing is an issue in lots of old homes and building, and it was just unavoidable.  I've seen you mention that you spend your summers living in an RV.  I'm sure more people would find the prospect of using a toilet in the close quarters of an RV or going through the process of emptying the sewage tanks in it on a regular basis to be much more unappealing than using a bathroom near a kitchen in a home.  It surprises me that this would be such a big deal for you.  

In my Rv there is easily 10 ft from the back wall of the kitchen to the BR door - then in the BR the toilet is in a watercloset. As for dumping the holding tanks - first we use RV holding tank chemical - eliminate odors & disolves solids and all you do is pull a handle and everything in that tank goes thru a pipe into the sewage system.Then there is a place to open a sprayer which rinses the tank clean and you turn it off and close the handle.Not unappealing at all. Why do people make comments about things they have no idea about?

Our truck camper had a cartride that my DH had to pull out and empty.  Blech.  That was always his job.  LOL  We actually tried to use the restrooms at the campgrounds as much as possible.   

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

It wouldn't bother me a bit to have a bathroom adjacent to the kitchen.  I don't intend to prepare food while sitting on the pot.  If your toilet sprays 12ft, you seriously need to call a plumber. 

This just reminded me of that Seinfeld episode when Kramer cleans food in the shower while he's showering.  ROFLOL

Respected Contributor

With toilets, you do need to take into consideration that much of the "spray" isn't what you would consider spray but micro droplets of water from the bowl.  There are those British cleaning lady's called "How clean is your house?"  They did testing on different parts of the baths to show how far the toilet waste was sprayed when flushed without putting the lid down.  They also showed how dirty hand towels were.  They even tested the toothbrushes.  All of it tested positive for fecal matter every single time.  Yeah, the homes were less than regularly cleaned, but the toilet still sprays when you have a clean bath.  Frequent cleaning and using the lid to contain things is needed, especially if you have boys and men.  Also, remember that women can miss the toilet too!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

It wouldn't bother me a bit to have a bathroom adjacent to the kitchen.  I don't intend to prepare food while sitting on the pot.  If your toilet sprays 12ft, you seriously need to call a plumber. 

-----------

You're right, some of the posters are obsessed about germs. I wouldn't build a new home with a restroom off the kitchen, but in older homes, it's common and I don't see what the big deal is.

Honored Contributor

As stated before it is just a matter of what someone is willing to live with. I am absolutely not willing to live with a bathroom that opens into my kitchen. It's a deal breaker for me.

Honored Contributor

Simply close the dang lid before flushing.  It's not that difficult to do.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Eh, every house I've seen (other than a true custom design house) has a powder room (1/2 bath) somewhere off the kitchen. I guess people felt that the cook wouldn't want to stray to far from the food when needing to pee or poo.  I wish they weren't because privacy is something I cherish but apparently home design architects don't see it that way.

Considering some of the bizarre places doors are placed, I often think no one actually LIVES in the homes they design. 

In any event, if you have the money, do your thing. The rest of us will just have to suffer with the noises and the smells... unless we have Poo Pouri in there to be used. Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

We had a powder room located  IN  the family room at our  former home.  Now we live in a beautiful home with the powder room near the laundry room and near the garage.   It is a few steps away from the kitchen.   All I can say is that men must design these homes.  lol