Respected Contributor

Re: I find this rather disgusting

Put the lid down before flushing at least.

Honored Contributor

It's difficult to say where the 1st floor bathroom should be unless you have a Mud Room and it's in that room.  The bathroom off the TV room is also bad.  If you buy a home someone else lived in you really don't have much choice if the bathroom is off the kitchen.  The best thing to do is have that new product Poo-Purr-Ree available and a spray that eliminates odor immediately.  Or you can have an electric diffuser going in the bathroom.  

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Gee, what made you think to post this topic today?

Trusted Contributor

@151949 I remember being in an old apartment in Manhattan many years ago in which the shower was in the kitchen!  I think plumbing is an issue in lots of old homes and building, and it was just unavoidable.  I've seen you mention that you spend your summers living in an RV.  I'm sure more people would find the prospect of using a toilet in the close quarters of an RV or going through the process of emptying the sewage tanks in it on a regular basis to be much more unappealing than using a bathroom near a kitchen in a home.  It surprises me that this would be such a big deal for you.  

Honored Contributor

I have never lived in a house that the powder room wasn't off the kitchen. I've lived in many houses! Where is the bathroom supposed to be located? Woman Frustrated

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I totally agree with you.  When a toilet is flushed, bacteria can spread 10ft or more away.  The whole idea just makes me freaked out.  I'm sure I could manage if all people made sure to shut the door and keep it shut until the flushing was completely done.  Many homes in England and Europe are done this way.  Watching House Hunter's International you see so many homes this way.  I don't see why the US has these homes that are modern builds.  Good luck in your search for a new home!

I just read where you said 12ft.  I can believe some of those toilets do spray that far.  I also know that toilets that are commercial, can spray further.  Lids are important, so please put them down and then flush.  Your tooth brush is usually out on the counter, so think about that every time you go to flush without the lid down. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TenderMercies wrote:

@151949 I remember being in an old apartment in Manhattan many years ago in which the shower was in the kitchen!  I think plumbing is an issue in lots of old homes and building, and it was just unavoidable.  I've seen you mention that you spend your summers living in an RV.  I'm sure more people would find the prospect of using a toilet in the close quarters of an RV or going through the process of emptying the sewage tanks in it on a regular basis to be much more unappealing than using a bathroom near a kitchen in a home.  It surprises me that this would be such a big deal for you.  

In my Rv there is easily 10 ft from the back wall of the kitchen to the BR door - then in the BR the toilet is in a watercloset. As for dumping the holding tanks - first we use RV holding tank chemical - eliminate odors & disolves solids and all you do is pull a handle and everything in that tank goes thru a pipe into the sewage system.Then there is a place to open a sprayer which rinses the tank clean and you turn it off and close the handle.Not unappealing at all. Why do people make comments about things they have no idea about?

Honored Contributor

@Tigriss I keep toothbrushes inside the medicine cabinet, not ever sitting out on the counter.

Respected Contributor

For some reason people don't understand why you really should do that. I know if there was a big problem with it, people would be getting sick all over the place and it would be on the news and all, but it is just the thought of it all. YUCK! This is even more reason to have the toilet in the little room by itself. More space between the germs and the rest of the bathroom!
Esteemed Contributor

Phew!  I am lucky, I guess - the 1/2 bath is in the lower level center hall, the master has a separate washroom, and the 2nd bath in the upstairs hall has a partition wall between fixtures.🚽

Cogito ergo sum