Honored Contributor

I find this rather disgusting

When a home has a bathroom right next to either the kitchen or the eating area. I have a girlfriend whose house is very old and did not originally have a bathroom. When they added it , they put it right next to the dining room. Yuck. And, of course, that is the only BR in the house.

We have seen this design in model homes, and often on tiny homes on TV - in an attempt to keep the plumbing runs short I'm sure - the bathroom is right  off the kitchen.

This would never be something I could live with. Esp. since they say toilets spray something like 12 ft. when flushed.

Honored Contributor

Re: I find this rather disgusting

When I was looking for a house I told the real estate person NO BATHROOMS IN WEIRD PLACES!!.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well. If the toilet sprays 12ft., you, yourself, are getting sprayed every time you flush-- no matter where the bathroom is. (unless you run away very quickly and don't use automatically-flushing toilets) .Smiley LOL

I get your point, though. The smell isn't exactly conducive to eating. Smiley Happy   But, that's the way some old apartments and houses were built. Nothing you can do.  Also, there are doors on the bathrooms, you realize? 

Honored Contributor

@151949  

The old house I owned had a half bath between the kitchen and an ante-room to the backyard.  It was one of those old structures that was originally a carriage house which had been moved across town and made into a home.  The main bath was upstairs, but the young couple I bought from had added that downstairs bath -  super convenient. 

And way better than the even older house next door which had its only bath downstairs off the dining room.  I can't even imagine having to get downstairs in the middle of the night -  no wonder people used chamber pots before there was indoor plumbinutg.

Such bathrooms don't disgust me (I'd still own my old house if not for the steps) but definitely, if I were buying new build, I would try to avoid awkward bathrooms.

Honored Contributor

My last house had a powder room in a rather unfortunate location. We were able to relocate the door to face another direction which alleviated part of the problem. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops  did the BR door open into the kitchen? That would be a deal breaker for me.

Our Pa house the BR was right next to the kitchen but the door opened down the hall next to the bedrooms.

Honored Contributor

When we moved into our new house it was sold as 2 1/2 baths. The "1/2" bath turned out to be a tiny entry way with THREE DOORS, one opening to the basement, one opening to the attached garage, and one opening to the kitchen. 

We immediately had the toilet and basin removed, added a slop sink, and made it a very small but workable laundry center, with a stacked laundry set. 

Unless this arrangement is somehow specifically engineered to work with a specific space, such as putting the door in a wall not opeing to the eating area, it just doesn't work.

Honored Contributor

It is difficult to get financing for homes with a bathroom that is in the kitchen.  The door must not open directly into area.  FHA and VA financing do not allow this.  There might be others as well.

You don't find this too often, it's mostly in very old homes and is not a pleasant situation.

Honored Contributor

We just sold our home in 2 days, for a pretty high price.  The downstairs powder room was located in the hall just off the kitchen.

I guess the new buyers didn't find it disgusting at all!  LOL

I have no idea what the toilet spraying you mention is about!  We always close the lid b4 we flush.  The bath was always kept very clean so the location was not really an issue.

However, to be perfectly honest....it wasn't the spray you mention, but the awkwardness of 'hearing' people 'go'!  Family members knew there was a full bath at the top of the stairs to use if it was 'a bad one'.

We built the house 21 years ago and it never dawned on me.  There really wasn't anywhere else it could go.  A downstairs powder room was a must not only for not having to go up the stairs but also since we had a built in pool.  It was used ALL the time to change outta wet suits...little kids who didn't have to go until they got IN the pool etc!

However,  the new house we are building does not have a bath off the kitchen!  It is a one story this time, so going to the second floor to use a bathroom is solved.  LOL

Honored Contributor

There is a solution for this-Cat LOL

Image result for poo pourri