Honored Contributor

I finally got a designer to complete my interior

well after many attempts to purchase furniture and finishing touches I took the plunge & accepted help from designer.

I always thought I couldn't afford one but surprised how reasonable and I think it will be $$$ well spent.

I just kept buying accent pieces, etc. and either pieces were to big, color off, etc. 

Lots of wasted hours (and $$) going to stores, returning, etc.

Im hoping she will help me achieve the look I want. I still didn't do the lighting in my kitchen because I just wasn't sure...so hopefully on Wednesday after we meet I'll be on the right track.

(I already called Habitat for Humanity to donate all the furniture, etc. I don't want & still in good condition -- and lots of household, clothing, etc.)

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I finally got a designer to complete my interior

Best money we ever spent. Our house just never connected or flowed right. The designer loved most of our furniture. She was amazing. Told us what to buy and what to get rid of. She picked us art for our walls. She was budget conscience and kept in mind our budget. Now our home looks like it's out of a magazine. Definitely worth it. Hope you have a great experience like we did. 

Honored Contributor

I know that in many circles, this is considered rather extravagant, and something for people of means. But we grew up in a church where one of the men that my parents were friends with was an interior designer.

After we were mostly grown, my mom bought a painting for over the mantel from this man, and he came to hang it in our home. As they were friends, my mom mentioned while he was there, that she was sure her living room was not well arranged. In about three sentences he gave her ideas of how to take only what she had, rearrange it, and make a whole new (and better!) look.

Had she had to pay for that service, it couldn't have been much, as it took all of five minutes in suggestions, and made a big difference in what she was able to do for the rest of her life (so far!) in decorating.

I think when using the services of someone like this, it is more important what we learn about decor (and ourselves) than what they 'show' us or recommend. We can learn tricks of the trade about style, color, light, positioning etc. that will be worth more to us going forward than the cost of their services.

If you were making what you felt was a lot of 'mistakes' in choosing and placing furniture and decor, this was a really smart move @homedecor1. Have fun with it, enjoy the results, and please keep us posted as to just how helpful you think the entire process really was.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio

i met her at a church function when our conversation turned from how hot the day was to home decorating! 

I have a good sense for color schemes, groupings, decor I like BUT I have to say I've purchased a beautiful set of furniture for my family room ONLY to find it was to big (size) and the room was overwhelmed --so I ended up splitting up the couches and 1 stayed in family room & other ended up in my LR🙄 - I was unable to return to store😁

Ive been working around these pieces and I love estate sales now I've got great pieces and I'm trying to rearrange them into my decor.

I'm also a lover of country French / traditional which I've achieved in DR, BD, foyer, kitchen (minus kitchen table) and right now my biggest dilemma is the rooms look bigger than they are once all my "excess" things start filling it up its overcrowded.

i keep forgetting I'm decorating a 2,000 sq. ft villa vs a 5 bedroom colonial and the rooms are not that big. Oh, and no storage like my other home with full basement (completely organized by holiday and full above garage attic! And to think 1/2 or 3/4 got donated prior to this move😳🙀😻)

looking forward to her suggestions & getting furniture that will actually fit & complete the design I want to achieve! I'm happy to donate all excess mainly because I've gotten use and enjoyment of over 20 years of some of these pieces. Plus, I'm tired of "clutter", knick knacks (if that's what they call them), looking for fresh clean look!!!