Trusted Contributor

Re: I finally bought a Speed Queen washer!

@Mominohio 

Congratulations on your new SQ purchase.

There've have been several posts on this brand this year & majority of people love SQ.

I purchased the manual push button last spring & so happy with it.  My SIL purchased it last year.  My last 2 washers were Magtag, then Whirlpool.  Neither of them lasted more than 5 yrs.  I had SQ in the 80s & should have stuck with them.

May you have many happy washing years ahead!  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

So glad you are happy @Mominohio   and thank you for your review.

I have a 18 yr old washer. Sears was here to fix it today, but it didn't work.  They will be back on Mon. I told them there will be no more sears purchases.

Note to self:  Speed Queen 

Respected Contributor

@ mominohio
Please check back and update after year. So glad you are liking since I was disappointed to hear they had to change their washers last year. I know SQ on my definite to check out list. Thanks for info.
Trusted Contributor

Congratulations on your Speed Queen purchase. I hope you get many years of use from it. We are on our second set of SQ washers and dryers — it’s the only brand we’ve ever owned. The next time we need to buy a set we will stick with SQ. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Vivian wrote:

How ironic! I just bought a Speed Queen washer and dryer this morning. I’ve been sick and tired of what I call my politically correct washer and dryer. I’ve hated them from day one. I am hoping that today’s purchase will be my last.

Count me in  too. I HATE my Maytag Bravo machine (hope that's the correct name ). I was disappointed the first time I used it. Wish it would break down. I have only had the Bravo for about 2 years and would like to get rid if it, but I'd feel wasteful! What kind of stupid designed the Maytag?I would buy the SQ too.

Respected Contributor

Speed Queens are the "industrial basic type"  of washers and dryers you often find in laundromats, hotels (for guest use) and in apartment buildings with community laundry rooms.

That  probably says a lot about their quality and reliability.  

Hope the ones made for residential use by typical consumers are just as good.  They must be somewhat different (and more elegant) than those found in commercial establishments and have more settings and features.

Love reading that some type of appliance actually works well these days, for more than a month or two.

Esteemed Contributor

@SXMGirl 

Just curious, why did they feel it would not be good for a second floor laundry.

Mine is in a dedicated space in our guest bath and sits in a shallow drain pan.

I cannot imagine why it wouldn't work in an upstairs laundry.

Thanks...I'm waiting for my front loader to die so I can get a new machine Cat LOL

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman  Too heavy and the spin cycle.  Unfortunately, we had a Maytag when we first moved into the house, and ended up with a serious problem with the washer going through our ceiling and into the kitchen, and this was in the first several months of living here.   After that, I respect the advice from a long-established appliance store and experienced staff.  Since I had only done laundry in the basement, I never would have known about washers vs. location.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Frequent Contributor

I  bought a top loader Speed Queen  Commercial Washer a couple of years ago to replace a washer that broke down.  Love it.  It is not the fancy one with all the bells and whistles but it suits my needs completely. 

Enjoy your new washer and dryer.  If and when my dryer breaks down, I will definitely replace it with a Speed Queen dryer.

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@Mominohio @VIVIAN 

Congratulations on your new washers.  After reading the boards and hearing how great they were, I was hoping to get one.  However, when we went to several appliance stores in our area and told them that we had a second-floor laundry, everyone advised us that they were not the best for us.  We got an Electrolux, and it has worked beautifully.  I know that at some point we will move to a one-story home, and a Speed Queen will be with us.

@SXMGirl 

Did they say why these weren't good for a second floor laundry?