Honored Contributor

I finally bought a Speed Queen washer!

Let me begin by saying, I didn't want to buy a new washer. We have been bleeding money the last year between many car repairs/maintenance, foundation leak, new roof, kitchen remodel and so on. I have been happy with my plain old washer, but it was leaking, and my husband fixed it several months ago, but couldn't get all the gaskets/seals it needed to get it to stop leaking totally, so I've been limping by being only able to do small loads, and then even that eventually was leaking too. Between that, and the age and some other possible issues coming up, we decided to just buy new, instead of put more into it. 

I had always wanted to try a Speed Queen, as I've only heard good things about them, so when I heard they had a 10 year all parts and labor warranty special going on, (in home service, too), I thought I had to explore the possibility. (by the way, that warranty has been extended to the end of the year, if anyone else was considering)

I went to the nearest authorized dealer (45 minutes from my house) and was able to see three of the four top loading machines they offer. Many of you many know that in washer threads in the past, I've been strong standing on what I need and want. I always choose top loader, full fill, availability of hot wash, and as simple as possible in the controls (more stuff, more stuff to break!). 

One thing I was surprised about, is that all their top loaders have the same size tubs, and smaller than I was used to. I would have expected a variety of sizes, but they only have four top load choices, and all with the same tubs. I was assured it would easily handle and clean up to queen size quilts, and it does.

In contrast to my usual, I chose the top end model, with the most functions. Funny thing is, they were offering it for the same price as the most base model. And with the 10 year warranty, I couldn't see a down side to choosing it, as if it did break easier, it was covered. I figured even if we had to throw it away after the 10 years because of cost of after warranty upkeep, it averaged out to a cost of use of $100 a year. 

This is the model I chose 

in White Full Size

Some things I've noticed in the week I've had it. 

It's super quiet! There is a ton of choices for water levels, soaks, extra rinse, etc. that are very helpful since we have a well and septic, and have to monitor the amount of water we put through the system, especially in wet weather. My previous machine didn't have as many aids in controlling water wash time, soak time, delay start, like this one does. 

It spins out well, but clothing isn't smashed and wrinkled like can happen. 

So far, I'm very happy with the way this is performing. Wondering who else has had Speed Queen, and what their opinions are.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I finally bought a Speed Queen washer!

How ironic! I just bought a Speed Queen washer and dryer this morning. I’ve been sick and tired of what I call my politically correct washer and dryer. I’ve hated them from day one. I am hoping that today’s purchase will be my last.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio 

Thank you for your detailed review on the Speed Queen!

My last washer purchase was a Whirpool Cabrio HE, mainly because I wanted one with no agitator and only the HE washers came with no agitator, at least at that time.

I hate it and can't wait until it dies so I can replace it, so I'm interested in new washer recommendations!

I've now put Speed Queen on my list!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

How ironic! I just bought a Speed Queen washer and dryer this morning. I’ve been sick and tired of what I call my politically correct washer and dryer. I’ve hated them from day one. I am hoping that today’s purchase will be my last.

@Vivian 

Don't forget to go online and register for your warranty. I too am hoping these last the 25 years they advertise that they are built to last. 

Another thing I am noticing is that these don't have a powerful sounding 'swish swish' during any wash or rinse cycle. It's more a slow deliberate agitation. Very different than anything I'm used to. 

So far though, it seems to be cleaning the clothing fine. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

OMG, I just spit my coffee out over that one!! 😅

When the time comes for a "new" set I thought about buying used.

@Mominohio hope you get many years from your investment!

Esteemed Contributor

Congratulations on your purchase, @Mominohio .

I sincerely hope you have many years of boring, uneventful, reliable, predictable service from your machine.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Congratulations on your purchase, @Mominohio .

I sincerely hope you have many years of boring, uneventful, reliable, predictable service from your machine.

@x Hedge 

LOL

Yes, this is one of those things you hope is boring and uneventful! 

Frequent Contributor

I just purchased the exact same Speed Queen washer and dryer about  month ago and was able to get their 10-year warranty.  I love mine so far but followed the advice of the salesman and Speed Queen and I do not use any of the Eco features.  The EPA made Speed Queen add that feature but it does not clean the clothes well at all.  The normal cycles clean very well.  I had a Whirlpool washer that was a front loader and after 14 years I could not get the mildew smell at of the washer.  I tried everything suggested and kept the door open from day one. I am back to the top loader and delighted with it.

I also switched to Nellie's Washing Soda and love that as well.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio 

Yep!

No puzzling tiny trickle of water across the floor (seen it)...no worrisome thuds, thumps, grinding gears or belt slipping squeals (heard it)...no heart sinking Full Stop in the middle of a cycle(lived it)...

Honored Contributor

MominOhio and Vivian - Congratulations! Enjoy your new washers!

I am happy to hear that you both bought a Speed Queen.

Just wanted to mention that at Walt Disney World they have free washers and dryers. And they are Speed Queens. I can not imagine how much use they must get because they are free and families generate alot of dirty clothes. They must have picked Speed Queen for a reason. 

I am SO DISAPPOINTED with my Whirlpool. It is about 2-3 years old. My 38 year old Maytag was quieter, did not spin the clothes into a tangled mess, did not go out of balance with sheets and linens and actually got the clothes much clean. You would think a newer washer would be an improvement not many steps backward. If I knew then how bad the new washers were, I would have tried to get my Maytag repaired.

I figure my Whirlpool will break down soon and I am definitely getting a Speed Queen. I am sick of the noisy washer that twists the clothing into a wrinkled mess.