Respected Contributor

Re: I finally bought a Speed Queen washer!

We bought a Speed Queen W/D in 2016 and I am thrilled with both machines.    We had a Kenmore Front Loader and although it wasn't very old I just could not stand that machine.   I had no regrets in getting rid of it.    I would never purchase another front loader.  

Hopefully this Speed Queen will be the last W/D that we will ever need to purchase.  

Honored Contributor

@NWOL wrote:

I just purchased the exact same Speed Queen washer and dryer about  month ago and was able to get their 10-year warranty.  I love mine so far but followed the advice of the salesman and Speed Queen and I do not use any of the Eco features.  The EPA made Speed Queen add that feature but it does not clean the clothes well at all.  The normal cycles clean very well.  I had a Whirlpool washer that was a front loader and after 14 years I could not get the mildew smell at of the washer.  I tried everything suggested and kept the door open from day one. I am back to the top loader and delighted with it.

I also switched to Nellie's Washing Soda and love that as well.

@NWOL 

Glad to hear you are happy with yours so far!

I was warned about the Eco cycle as well. Not only much less water in the wash cycle, but no filling for rinse, just a spray rinse!

I was wanting something that did full fill, and boy does this washer full fill. So high I was worried it would overflow! So happy to have found one that I can get a full tub of water, and an agitator!

Regular Contributor

Mom, I see your new washer has an electronic panel.  Be sure you have it hooked up to surge protector.  I had a new stove a few years and a thunderstorm caused a power outage and the electronic panel went Pzzzzzzzzzzzzt.  Cost almost as much of the stoves original price to replace.  Even if you do have the warranty, better safe than sorry.

Respected Contributor

Make sure you get the new 2019 Speed Queen, they got rid of the awful changes they made & went back to what made their washers great.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the recommendation. I've never heard of that brand. Our washer and dryer (HE front load) are 15 years old and hope they last awhile longer. I dread replacing them. Seems like the newer appliances out there are cr@p and fall apart on a regular basis. (We had to get new fridge and stove in the past 12 months.)

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Mominohio 

Thank you for your detailed review on the Speed Queen!

My last washer purchase was a Whirpool Cabrio HE, mainly because I wanted one with no agitator and only the HE washers came with no agitator, at least at that time.

I hate it and can't wait until it dies so I can replace it, so I'm interested in new washer recommendations!

I've now put Speed Queen on my list!

I have the Whirlpool Cabrio HE model for 3-1/2 years - and LOVE it!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

MominOhio and Vivian - Congratulations! Enjoy your new washers!

I am happy to hear that you both bought a Speed Queen.

Just wanted to mention that at Walt Disney World they have free washers and dryers. And they are Speed Queens. I can not imagine how much use they must get because they are free and families generate alot of dirty clothes. They must have picked Speed Queen for a reason. 

I am SO DISAPPOINTED with my Whirlpool. It is about 2-3 years old. My 38 year old Maytag was quieter, did not spin the clothes into a tangled mess, did not go out of balance with sheets and linens and actually got the clothes much clean. You would think a newer washer would be an improvement not many steps backward. If I knew then how bad the new washers were, I would have tried to get my Maytag repaired.

I figure my Whirlpool will break down soon and I am definitely getting a Speed Queen. I am sick of the noisy washer that twists the clothing into a wrinkled mess.

You could blame our government's regulations on why washing machines and refrigerators are not as good as in the past -- and don't last as long.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio @VIVIAN 

Congratulations on your new washers.  After reading the boards and hearing how great they were, I was hoping to get one.  However, when we went to several appliance stores in our area and told them that we had a second-floor laundry, everyone advised us that they were not the best for us.  We got an Electrolux, and it has worked beautifully.  I know that at some point we will move to a one-story home, and a Speed Queen will be with us.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I also do not like my front loader....I do not want it to die but when it does...I am also buying a speed queen....I want to be able to soak things like before  I purchased my current machine.  We have had to replace a part in the door two times since we bought it...about 8 years ago!  

Honored Contributor

I really love my speed queen.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.