Honored Contributor

Re: I feel this is going much too far !

@151949  I would have been irate also, and would have demanded that the realtor or his stager put everything back where they found it, some nerve!

Realtors seem to think that prospective buyers don't have any imagination to see beyond the seller's decor and imagine themselves in the house and what they could do to it to make it theirs.  This house had terrible decor and an old ugly kitchen, but I looked at the bones, location, and potential of the house and what I could do to it to make it into what I wanted.

When we were selling our previous home, I had ordered a lot of bare root roses not knowing at the time that we would be moving, so put them in pulp pots in the back side yard, not visible unless one went back there, and one realtor made derogatory remarks about the roses in pots, and said she wouldn't bring anyone to see the house.  Didn't need that so and so, our house sold for over asking.

Esteemed Contributor

I thought the realtor/real estate required your permission to "stage" your house. There's a fee for that service so who's paying for that?  This should have been discussed with you before one chair was moved. I would fire them and take inventory. The real estate was totally over the line.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@Mom2Dogs He seems to be a good kid - he just needs to learn a little about how seniors see things differently than 30 year olds.

@151949.  It shouldn't matter what a sellers age is, senior or not. Everything the agent plans for your home should be discussed with you before hand. Moving ones furniture to the garage is unacceptable unless you had agreed to it.

Honored Contributor

I'll add that it doesn't make much sense for a realtor, staging company or even a home owner to clean out the house for 'the look', then pile all the excess in the garage or the basement. The prospective buyers are going to see that, and think that the home doesn't have nearly as much space as it looks, that things have just been moved into a pile (which they will obviously see) in another place in the garage. It will look like the home doesn't have enough space or storage. 

I'm sure the realtor wants the seller to get the items off the property all together, and in some markets that is probably more of a necessity than others, but unless one's home is horribly over crowded, I don't think a lot of this mess they have created for the OP is going to make a lick of difference.

Esteemed Contributor

This has nothing to do with age. The realtor is right in that home should look uncluttered and if you have to much furniture it needs to be put in storage. But where he went wrong was not telling you and just doing it. Time will tell if putting everything back works to sell your house quickly. None of us can see your house so we don’t know.  No you don’t need to empty everything but you might just have to much for the house to show well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't live in clutter. My home is pretty much always spotless and uncluttered. And when I was getting my house ready to sell I packed away anything I thought would "junk" up the place. When my realtor came with his photographer/videographer to take professional photos I was there the entire time.I walked from room to room with them turning on lights for the photos. Nothing was moved. I'm supposing the OP's house wasn't up to par for showing. BTW My home sold in 2 weeks. 

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

I don't live in clutter. My home is pretty much always spotless and uncluttered. And when I was getting my house ready to sell I packed away anything I thought would "junk" up the place. When my realtor came with his photographer/videographer to take professional photos I was there the entire time.I walked from room to room with them turning on lights for the photos. Nothing was moved. I'm supposing the OP's house wasn't up to par for showing. BTW My home sold in 2 weeks. 

Ours sold in five days. And we got  dollar wise what is the top range in our housing addition. It totally pays off to having your house looking it’s best.

Honored Contributor

As you probably already know, I have a RE license. I am no longer actively working, so my license is in escrow.

In order to get this license, I had to pass the state exam.  I went to school to study RE law and theory in order to sit and take the test.  The exam was not easy.  Only 20% of the people pass the exam on the first try.  If you fail the exam five times, you are never allowed to take the exam again.  Yes, there are many people who fail five times.

Once you pass the test, you must work for a broker who is supposed to further your education.  From my experience, very few brokers do this in a formal setting.

The schooling you must receive in order to get licensed does does not teach you how to fill out contracts, or how to help people buy or sell a home.  It just goes over laws, deeds and discrimination.

When I made my first  sale, I did not know how to proceed.  Since it was late at night, I told my clients that I would drop over to their home the next day with the paperwork for them to sign.  They were agreeable...good thing because I didn’t even know what paperwork I needed.  As time goes buy, I  gained experience.  So this career is on the  job training.

This  young man that you hired that sold many homes in your neighborhood, probably didn’t sell the homes at all.  What he did was list them.  Chances are another realtor actually sold the properties.  

He also stepped over the line.  He should have never, ever moved things in your home or removed them altogether.  What he did was disrespectful and you have every right to be angry.  I am sure you feel violated because  strangers were going though your home and handling your possessions.  

What I would do is look at the sellers contract and the sellers estimated cost sheet.  You need to see if you gave him permission to do this.  Also check to see who is going to pay for the stager.  RE companies pay for the video and pictures, but the seller pays for the stager in my experience.  

If you are not happy with this guy, and I find it difficult to believe you would be, contact his broker and ask the broker to assign you another realtor from the office.  This happens on a regular basis...sometimes a realtor dies, moves or quits while they still have active listings, so the broker is used to doing this.

And I agree this guy watches HGTV way too much.  Even though realtors tell you to remove all personal items, I haven’t found that doing so sells a home any faster.  

Most buyers are looking for neighborhood first, then price.  If they like the layout of the home and it suits their needs, they will make an offer.

Things that determine how much their offer is-is inventory.  If homes sell fast in your neighborhood or there is multiple offers, they will bid higher.

If the home is dirty, has odors, is cluttered so much that it looks really awful, has an old roof, or old appliances or outdated kitchen and bath, most people will make an offer at a much lower price.

Of course, there are people who must have a move in ready home, so they will walk away, but no one really cares if you have chairs around your tables or desks.  Screech.

If you have way to much furniture, your rooms will look small, so you might be asked to put some into storage.  But being honest here, if I were to go into a home and there were no chairs around the table, I would  think the room is too small for a proper table and chair set. I’d rather see how your furniture fits, so I can judge it against the scale of my furniture.

IMO, your realtor seems like a eccentric idiot.  He is working do you, so if he is not meeting your expectations, I would make it known to his broker ASAP.

Good luck, I hope your home sells fast.

Respected Contributor

This would freak me out too.i# question why I'd have to leave my own house for video/photos...No way.

Honored Contributor

We just had the exterminator in because we noticed a few ants and don't want that when the house is shown. Anyway, he said he thinks it will sell immediately and if he could he'd buy it. He thought the antiques give a house warmth & character. It's been my observance that men tend to like mission style furniture.I guess the clean lines appeal to them.