Esteemed Contributor

Re: I feel this is going much too far !

They should have asked your permission....

Honored Contributor

DH & I were discussing this as we had our coffee this morning. So many of the homes sold here in our area are not the owners primary residence or are being sold by the owners families after they have gone into a nursing home or have died, that these young realtors do not understand how to proceed when they have a customer who is actually LIVING in the home while it is being sold. They don't understand that they have to be sensitive to the owners feelings.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Not to even mention how really stupid it looks to have a table sitting in the middle of a room with no chairs around it.Or a desk without a chair.

that is weird

clearing out a room of excess chairs would make sense, but a table with no chairs doesn't 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949  How did you find this Realtor? Usually word of mouth or references from several friends or business associates works well. Sounds like you went with the first person you contacted. 

We've all discussed (and complained) about the hard-sell of some show hosts. We all have those we refuse to watch for various reasons. There's a vetting process when we are watching those programs! We're deciding upon who we trust or prefer to do business with. Some of those hosts are simply too self-absorbed or too busy interested in their commissions to care about the customer.

Apparently, the Realtor you are working with is, indeed, more interested in the quick and almighty sale than in helping the seller with a smooth sale. Remember, they know you won't be back as a repeat customer. You are building a new home. They don't care about you! They are after the money. Huge difference. I'd rather have a smooth sale, with my possessions untouched and respected, than a dramatic video! So what if it takes an extra week or two to sell the house? Most buyers are looking at the structure and "bones" of the property. As long as the "stuff" cleared and the home is clean and tidy, it should show well. Moving an owners possessions into the garage would void the contract IMO! It would tell all buyers the Realtor has no respect for the buyer and/or his/her belongings, vehicle or the HOA rules.

Get rid of that Realtor today. Check with friends and business associates for a quality, reputable Realtor willing to work WITH you. That Realtor is making the rest of the Realtors look horrible. Sorry you didn't interview them first and avoid such a devestating experience. This should never have happened with an expert Realtor.   

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I don't know....I probably wouldn't have left my home while strangers were staging it, especially with "400 year old antiques."  I think they staged it to sell fast (as you want).  So probably best to get new realtors to list it if you are unhappy with them. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This realtor is young - I'd say 30's -but he has sold several homes in our plan successfully. However, I do not recall any one he has sold while the owners were still living in the home. We think this may be a first for him. He is a very nice young man but he wants to do it his way - and doesn't seem to be open to LISTENING to another POV. 

Anyway , today we are putting our home back to what is comfortable for us to live here and he can basically, like it or lump it. I don't care about decor items and pictures we packed but I am absolutely not leaving my furniture out in the dirty, damp garage.

Honored Contributor

@151949, it is kind of you to give this young agent a second chance.  He will learn as he goes and to be flexible!

I have a friend whose DH died just before Christmas (he was young-66 yrs old!)  their 2nd home is in Florida....she has not made a decision (way to soon)  as how to handle the Florida home, sell, keep, big decision for her.  She certainly cannot bring all the things from the Florida home to her home up north.

Honored Contributor

Where are you moving?  Are you staying in Florida?

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

I think you should trust your realtor to leave everything they removed-- out in the garage, or better yet, store it somewhere else.

You know how you like your home decorated, a realtor knows how a house will sell better.

Look at this way, you want to *dump the old girl*, do as the realtor says/does and you'll be rid of her sooner rather than later.

Yes, but they still need chairs at the table so they can sit down and eat!  And their car needs to be in the garage.  It doesn't seem that anything was ever said about the need for a storage unit so it could have been obtained in advance..  The sellers should not be so much out of the loop that they are horrified and surprised when they return home.  They had no reason to suspect that all of that would have happened without their knowledge and without their consent.

I'm a big believer in staging, clearing the house of photographs and other obvious personal possessions, etc.  But this was overkill.  The realtor overstepped a lot.  Nothing to that extent should have been done unless there was a clear understanding, and obviously there was not.

I would be furious.  "Doing as the realtor says" is good advice if the realtor acts professionally and is upfront about everything.  Blindly doing what someone says simply because they're a realtor is foolish, IMO.  There are realtors who know their stuff and are great to work with, and there are others who are the opposite.  This one was completely out of line.

@NYC Susan

Perfectly said, and absolutely correct.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs He seems to be a good kid - he just needs to learn a little about how seniors see things differently than 30 year olds.