Honored Contributor

Re: I feel this is going much too far !

@sassenach1 wrote:

We had a similar situation.  Our house was cleaned, pared down and professionally staged.  Realtor’s photographer and his MIL spent hours here for the photo/video.  We came home to stuff being moved, things moved to hot and humid garage, etc.  

i am not much of a “stuff”person.  The one room that is both gorgeous and very precious me is the library.  It is beautiful (both times we had contracts they wanted the whole library furniture included.). The MIL had dismantled much of the library.  I was livid and let our realtor know.  Especially because they had not asked permission and the house had been staged.  MIL fancied herself a decorator.

That's crazy--very rude and disrespectful.  I'm going to remember all of this if I ever decide to sell my house.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

@NickNack Yes, It was terribly rude.  It looks like we are not the only ones.  Selling a house is much different than a few years ago.  HGTV has completely altered expectations.  It is tough.

Honored Contributor

@sassenach1 - my daughter is an avid reader.  If she had her way, she would spend her whole paycheck on books instead of paying bills and rent and groceries!

She has her books arranged on the shelves, according to her own system and only she knows it.  She would know immediately if one had been moved and was out of place.  She can tell you what's on a cover and what color the binding is of a book she read 10 years ago!  

She would have been breathing fire and had smoke coming out of her eyes, ears and nose if someone touched her books

Honored Contributor

I’ve been following this thread and have enjoyed reading the responses. 

I think my earlier comment was something about everything being so over the top these days. 

Just wanted to add, if anyone cares, that I got my parents condo sold in April, 2016. An OLD apartment building that was built in 1964 and converted to condos in 1983. My parents bought in 1984. 

While I had the inside painted and all repair things done and fireplace inspected, I sold the condo, with the faded 1984 carpet and old wallpaper on the kitchen, dining room and bathroom walls. I sold it without ever listing it. Oh...and it had the original stove/oven. A big old Tappan unit.  The buyer even asked me if that was really a working oven. 

So sometimes, more isn’t necessarily more. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

Just curious, did you like the way the house turned out in the video and pictures?   Did it look spacious and clutter free?

Valued Contributor

@CelticCrafterI like your daughter!  We would get along well!  Smiley Happy