Honored Contributor

I feel this is going much too far !

We had a video & pictures made today to post our home for sale. They asked us to please clear everything off every surface because it videos better. OK . It was a pain but at least it got us started packing. Every single little thing was to be off every surface. Then the realtor came today with a photographer to do the video. They asked us to leave and give them about 2 hours . When we came home - OMG - half our furniture was out in the garage! DH immediately called the realtor and asked him what he thought he was doing.We were irate. Then we came inside and they had rearranged a whole bunch inside. WTH? When the realtor got here he said he strongly suggested we leave it as their stager had it for the purpose of showing it - meanwhile they took ALL the chairs from around the tables outside to the garage. My sewing machines are out in the very hot & very humid garage! There are no chairs at our desks! I asked him if he customarily sits down to eat at his house. So, even though we are exhausted from all the packing etc we already had to do ,tomorrow we will be lifting & carrying  our very heavy furniture back into the house from the garage.They even put an antique rocker that is an heirloom out there.

Not to even mention our SUV is outside tonight against HOA rules because there is no room for it in the garage.

We are truely stunned they did this and more stunned this realtor thinks he is right & we are wrong. My DH made it exceedingly clear to him he does NOT have permission to even touch ANYTHING in this house again.

Honored Contributor

Re: I feel this is going much too far !

@151949, wow, wow, wow!!  I would not have moved the furntirure, the realtor would have brought it back into the house.....and I might be tempted to fire them.

Respected Contributor

I would have new realtor within the day.

I would NEVER trust this realtor's judgement, professionalism, ethics or rspect.  He/She would not be welcome back in my home EVER.

I have no tolerance for such nonsense.  This is an example of how important it is to vet people you are giving free access to your home.  

Honored Contributor

While we were still here I saw the photographer picking up my 400+ year old table and I told her to put it down and not to touch it again.I asked her if she was aware how valuable it is and she said no but she took the hint. She also wanted the Stickley buffet moved - it weighs a ton and is also antique and frail. I told her then not to touch ANY of the antiques, but when we got home the rocker is in the garage and some other small antique pieces were moved.

Esteemed Contributor

Although the idea of staging it and making it look bigger was the right idea. It was wrong for them to do it without consulting you first..

Honored Contributor

I think you should trust your realtor to leave everything they removed-- out in the garage, or better yet, store it somewhere else.

You know how you like your home decorated, a realtor knows how a house will sell better.

Look at this way, you want to *dump the old girl*, do as the realtor says/does and you'll be rid of her sooner rather than later.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl....I don't want to hijack this thread....I paged you in the wellness forum, did you see it?

Trusted Contributor

My suggestion, get a new realtor. The one you have is watching way too much HGTV. There is a difference between staged, perfect new construction and a home people actually live in. I would call them tomorrow and ask them what time they're sending someone over to move your furniture back in the house.
Honored Contributor

@151949I think you're right to be outraged.  I say that even though I think they're right that eliminating a huge percentage of your possessions and some furniture will make the pictures better and could hasten the sale, what they did without telling you is just not okay.  There's just no good reason not to include you in their decisions.

Honored Contributor

Isn’t the end result of preparing a home for sale...

to sell quickly & at a good price?  

If that’s the end result, I would do anything the realtor/stager asks.

Many home owners place all their ‘unstaged’-personal items

in a storage unit until the home is sold.  

It’s a PIA to live in a sparsely decorated home but

hey, if it gets the home sold, why not do it?