Honored Contributor

Re: I don't understand why people do this

@151949wrote:

One couple looked at our home 3 times.Finally made a very low bid - we countered and they never responded to our counter. Never seen or heard from again. Our realtor called their realtor - it seems they could only afford the very low offer they made. They simply wanted a house they could not afford.

@151949 I don't fault them for making an offer.  You never know what someone's real selling price is.  Why not give it a shot?  Doesn't cost anything, and no reason to be offended.  It's just business. 

Honored Contributor

@Snicks1wrote:
The internet photos or video shows the best parts of a home and glosses over the "not so great" parts. If I'm interested in buying, I want to see the actual home. So, yeah, I might waste the homeowners and the realtors time, after all, it's my money and if I don't like the house, I'll go on to the next one. IMO, the homeowners should be glad to have the traffic through the home, that is, if she really wants to sell.

When my co-worker was looking for a home 2 years ago, he said the one thing he noticed about photos is that they made the house seem farther from the street than it was and the yard look bigger than it was.

He said sometimes he couldn't tell it was the same house from the photo.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@missy1wrote:

@151949wrote:

I've purchased 2 homes now for cash and NEVER had to show I had funds in the bank to pay for them just so I could look at them. I seriously don't know where you people get this stuff.

AND - when you are selling a house your realtor is not the only realtor showing the home. It goes on the multilist and every realtor in the area brings people to see it. We have a drawer full of realtor's cards because they leave one when they show the house. We have 3 showings today - only one is our agent.

Here you only have to show the bank statement when you put the offer in.

This . No where is it stated in this conversation it is required. Say your in a hot market and you have two or three offers. Chances are your going to accept the one that has proof they have the money even if it’s a couple thousand less. You will probably take the less risky offer. Especially if you need to get out of your house fast.

You  can’t complain about the kooky loos or un serious buyers then get all mad when people suggest some kind of proof you can actually look at the house. You can’t have it both ways.

Honored Contributor

@151949wrote:

@novamc1 Cassaday is obsessed about these preapproval lettrers.All those are any good for is to let the buyers know the price range they can afford. Otherwise they are a total waste of time. They are not in any way a loan apporoval & have no legal backing to them. They are totally an estimate.A tool for the buyers to use.

@151949 @novamc1I can disagree with that.  We had a pre-approval letter for more than we were going to spend, and we knew from the beginning we would have no problem with being approved for anything we were going to buy.

HOWEVER, that letter and the fact that we did not have a contengency to sell our home we were living in was the ONLY way we got the house we live in now.  It was sold to us at a great price by a relo company because of those two letters.  We made an offer, they took it that day and that was that.  The buy was a guaranteed deal for them, so we got a great price.

Honored Contributor

@Carmiewrote:

@Annabellethecat66wrote:

Here's something that I think is terrible!  One of my neighbors is a Realtor.

Whenever a house is for sale, she takes all of the women in the neighborhood through the house to 'check it out' for the simple reason they want to see inside of the house.

Now how is that not against the law?  The trouble is trying to prove that is the reason these other neighbors are marching through people's homes.

There are so many nosey people around it's astounding to me.  Why would anyone want to see someone's house.  These are houses that they don't know the people or have been redecorated for the simple reason of it being sold.  Ugh!

I used to do something like that.  I would get a new listing on a Friday and call the neighbors on Saturday and invite them to a private open house on Sunday.

Very often neighbors  know someone  who wants to live in the neighborhood, like maybe their gown children or a friend or coworker.

I would walk into the office on Monday with a listing and a selling contract and hand them at the same time.

No Realtor Is goIng to waste their time taking people in to look at decor. They work 100% on commission.

Well, I love to see what other people's houses look like and I think it's a great idea!  Most people would want to put out the word to people they know were looking to get some good neighbors!  

Esteemed Contributor

Open houses are for people who aren’t ready or for ones that may give someone they know who is looking the info. 

Honored Contributor

@151949wrote:

@SewHappy2wrote:

Oh, I sure do sympathize with you!  It is SUCH a pain to have to leave the house and then you really don't know for how long.  I am sorry, but there is no excuse for looking at a home that is currently lived in if you are not interested.  So inconsiderate.  Once I left, came back at the agreed upon time and realized no one had been there.  A couple of hours later, I get another call saying, they were delayed and could they come now?  ACK!  So, I sat on the front porch and let them in.  

Good luck, I hope your home sells soon and for a great price!

Yesterday we had 3 showings. We left at 2:30PM and could not get back in until around 6:30. Got feedback today - one guy just spending time looking until his wife comes down in a few weeks & they will look again.The husband is retired but the wife isn't. I doubt they are serious buyers. One they are trying to decide if they want to live in this area and aren't really ready to buy yet and one couple who were looking a second time comparing buying our ready to live in vs a fixer upper that is $20,000 less, but has no floors and also needs other work before they could move in. Our realtor showed this one and he said they are taking pictures and making notes so we think they are planning to buy the fixer upper and want to do some of the things we have done in our house. So doubtful they will buy either - and yet they were here , inconveniencing us & the realtor twice, & they were in here over an hour.

It was not wasted time.  You don't know what may come of some of those who came through.  And you weren't there so it doesn't matter if they stayed an hour.  Is it inconvenient to leave home during an open house?  Sure, but that's life when selling a home.  Be glad it was only 4 hours. 

Honored Contributor

@missy1wrote:

@151949wrote:

@novamc1 Cassaday is obsessed about these preapproval lettrers.All those are any good for is to let the buyers know the price range they can afford. Otherwise they are a total waste of time. They are not in any way a loan apporoval & have no legal backing to them. They are totally an estimate.A tool for the buyers to use.

Pre-approval letters doesn't mean the loan will go through,

Pre-approval means that the buyers have been approved financially to borrow x amount of money.  As long as the property appraises and no other problems are found with the property, they will get the loan.  It will go through 99.99% of the time.  The buyer would have to lose their job, or have some other catastrophic problem happen before it would not.

You must bring all of your paperwork and the bank will run a credit check, and check references before they give an approval, the same as they do when you have a contract to buy.

Often contracts fall through because the buyers cannot borrow the money they need to purchase a home.  When this happens, it is too bad because the seller took their home off of the market for weeks  and might have lost out on potential buyers. 

Many sellers will accept a lower offer from a person who has pre-approval instead of a higher offer of a person who does not, when there are multiple offers,

Banks do this for cars too.  They will pre-approve you.  When you find a car, they will just release the check, not to exceed your pre-approved loan amount.

This is nothing new.  My DH and I were pre-approved for a mortgage 40 years ago when we purchased our first home.

Respected Contributor

Most experienced real estate professionals know how to get the information they need from a buyer to determine which stage of the buying process they are in, how much they want to spend and what funds they intend to use to finance a purchase.  Most of the time (not always depending on situation), I had them fill out a form about income, debts, etc.)

At the same time, most buyers have a good idea of what they can afford and how much of a loan they can get.

Tentative buyers beginning to shop for homes, relocating buyers who don't know where they want to live should not always randomly allow a lender (which they might not later use) to make what is known in the credit industry as a "hard inquiry" about their credit.

A hard inquiry is different from the random catalog company offers that show up in your mailbox, indicating you have been "preapproved" for their credit card.

Hard inquiries from  actual potential creditors such as mortgage lenders and banks and car dealers (to whom you have given your Social Security number and other key info) do affect a person's  credit score, and if the person winds up visiting a second or third lender, who make the same "hard inquiries" against their credit, this can affect their score in a negative way.

Lenders can see the history of these "hard inquiries" and become wary of people who appear to be  vigorously "shopping" for all kinds of credit.

I still recommend sellers not assume that buyers should always produce evidence that they have put the cart in front of a horse which might not even be ready to come out of the barn.

Honored Contributor

@ccassadaywrote:

Open houses are for people who aren’t ready or for ones that may give someone they know who is looking the info. 

LOL. I know that isn’t true.  Some houses do sell because of an open house.  People who go to open houses are usually looking to buy.

open houses are done for new spec homes.  The builders get buyers this way.  The buyer needs to see something..a sample of sorts before they commit to build.

#1 reason: Most open houses are used as a tool for for the realtor who is looking for new buyers or sellers. When a realtor has a person who is looking, they might get a listing to sell too.

I went to quite a few open houses with my son when he was looking to buy.  He did not care for any of the houses we visited, but he met a great realtor that he clicked with.

She called him a few times in the coming weeks when a there was a new listing.  He purchased a home that was only on the market one day.  It was sold before it was in the MLS listing.