Esteemed Contributor

Re: I don't understand why people do this

@151949wrote:

Many homes in Florida- esp. villas as these are frequently snowbird homes to only be used seasonally, are purchased cash. I'd say many  more are cash than not.So preapproval letters from mortgage companies just aren't necessary.All the realtors have to go on are what the clients tell them.But mortgage vs no mortgage aside - the point I'm trying to make is - IMO - it is the height of rudemess and lack of consideration for people to do this. 

It is not rude. We sold our house for cash. She had a letter from the bank stating that she had so much in the bank to pay cash for the house. Obviously her realtor asked for that before showing her houses. You either want qualified buyers or you want your time wasted. Make up your mind. Your realtor she be the one asking for these before showing houses.

Honored Contributor

I believe that if someone really falls in love with the house they will work with the realtor to try to find a way to purchase. I suspect no one has been that excited about the house after touring it. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio  Thirty years???? Mercy!

I'd do anything necessary to move out of the home before I tried to sell, but I assume that isn't possible in the OP's case.

I'd hate to have people tramping through my home, gawking.

Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@151949wrote:

Many homes in Florida- esp. villas as these are frequently snowbird homes to only be used seasonally, are purchased cash. I'd say many  more are cash than not.So preapproval letters from mortgage companies just aren't necessary.All the realtors have to go on are what the clients tell them.But mortgage vs no mortgage aside - the point I'm trying to make is - IMO - it is the height of rudemess and lack of consideration for people to do this. 

Banks, brokerage houses, etc will write a letter to verify funds on deposit. They do this all the time for an all cash transaction.

Not only homes but boats, high end cars. People show up at boat and car showrooms, too.

Your real estate agent is building his personal file of contacts to keep for future business.

Honored Contributor

I've purchased 2 homes now for cash and NEVER had to show I had funds in the bank to pay for them just so I could look at them. I seriously don't know where you people get this stuff.

AND - when you are selling a house your realtor is not the only realtor showing the home. It goes on the multilist and every realtor in the area brings people to see it. We have a drawer full of realtor's cards because they leave one when they show the house. We have 3 showings today - only one is our agent.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949Then what's the problem? Move out and let all the Realtors do their jobs. Stop complaining. Like us, you can pay cash and move into your new home; then sell the old one whenever ready. Perhaps you should not have listed it until after you had moved and saved yourself a lot of headaches. Take it off the market for now. You are too annoyed with potential buyers to possibly agree on terms of a sale at this point. Hope the move is smooth and without complaints.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@151949You seem to be upset easily these days.I think you have a lot going on and you are becoming stressed or feeling pressured.I wondered if you noticed this....You need some me time or a nice massage.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949wrote:

I've purchased 2 homes now for cash and NEVER had to show I had funds in the bank to pay for them just so I could look at them. I seriously don't know where you people get this stuff.

AND - when you are selling a house your realtor is not the only realtor showing the home. It goes on the multilist and every realtor in the area brings people to see it. We have a drawer full of realtor's cards because they leave one when they show the house. We have 3 showings today - only one is our agent.

I get it because we just went through it in August. The lady had 137k to spend on a house. It was a simple one line letter from the bank stating she had 137k to spend. We would not accept that low. But she accepted 140k and sad she had enough to make up the difference. If you don’t want your time wasted there are ways to stop that. Quit complaining. Maybe you can’t aftord this new house if you are asking to much from your current house.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

From my personal experience as a Realtor, I can tell you that Realtors DO NOT like to show people homes if they are just looking.

A Realtor does not get paid, until they sell something or something they have listed sells. They could go months without a paycheck, but they still have monthly Realtor expenses that must be paid to their agency. And, gas for running all over the county is not cheap.

Realtors and buyers do lie, mostly because they do not want to hurt the homeowners feelings. 

They might not like the home at all.  Sometimes the homeowners decor turns them off.  When  there are so few homes for sale, a buyer will purchase and make the house their own.  But when there are many properties on the market, they get picky and are looking for a good value with very little updates that they have to do.

If a home is in nice shape, and the price is right, it will sell.  Even a house in very bad shape will sell if the price is right.

There are four things that sell a house quickly..location, location, location and a good price.

A good experienced Realtor will not show home to people who are just looking.  A new one might get scammed by a buyer who is just looking, but they too will learn quickly to spot them early and not waste their time and hours with them.

My personal thought is that you waited too long and missed the prime market for the snow birds.  If I were going to buy a property in Florida to use only during the winter months, I would look for and purchase a property at the beginning of the snow bird season.  

That way we would have settlement and would be moved in and could enjoy our home for a few months before we returned north again.

Many of  the snow birds already flew north and the rest will be returning in a few weeks.

You did not plan this too well and made a decision on the fly to move and write up a contract to buy on a contingency.

Honored Contributor

If you are trying to sell a house you are blessed any time someone comes to look at it.  They may really like it and buy it, they may have a friend looking who they will tell about your house.

Every person who comes through ups your chances of selling it.  Their realtor may have another person who he or she will bring back to your house.

Be glad it is being shown.  It won't sell without it.