Honored Contributor

I don't understand why people do this

Our house is for sale. We get a lot of viewings, and our agent is good about asking for feedback. About 3/4 of the time the feedback has been that the people looking are just gathering information and aren't really interested in buying for a couple years.SO - you are wasting the realtors time - you are making the homeowners have to super clean and leave their home (which is inconvenient to say the least) but you actually have NO INTENTION to buy a home for a couple years! 

Now I can understand looking at model homes etc to see where the market is and to check out different areas. But to engage a realtor and inconvenience them & the homeowners just so you can entertain yourself going thru people's homes is just simply rude.

When we addressed this with our realtor he just said they lie when they come in the office, claiming they are looking to buy.

Honored Contributor

Re: I don't understand why people do this

I think some do it for entertainment and decorating ideas.I know it is a pain but there are always people who are just out to look and see what others live like.

Regular Contributor

Oh, I sure do sympathize with you!  It is SUCH a pain to have to leave the house and then you really don't know for how long.  I am sorry, but there is no excuse for looking at a home that is currently lived in if you are not interested.  So inconsiderate.  Once I left, came back at the agreed upon time and realized no one had been there.  A couple of hours later, I get another call saying, they were delayed and could they come now?  ACK!  So, I sat on the front porch and let them in.  

Good luck, I hope your home sells soon and for a great price!

Respected Contributor

You have to remember that Florida markets are very flooded with properties and the markets are hot with competition, so you are going to have to wait for the person looking for what you are offering. Patience is a virtue for a reason.
Honored Contributor

Sometimes people lie!

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Esteemed Contributor

I know this sounds like a broken record. But if the people have a pre approval letter from the bank it shows they are serious about buying. I am sorry thry are doing this but it would cut down on this if the realtor wanted serious buyers only. The realtors probably don’t mind it because it gives them future business. But it sure in a inconvenience to the home owner. Personally I would tell my realtor no showings unless they have a pre approval or a letter from bank stating they have the cash to buy the house.

Regular Contributor

I sold real estate in NJ back in the late eighties and very early nineties. Your realtor that you will eventually pay commission to, should make sure her "buyers" are fully qualified for a mortgage and are serious buyers. There are a lot of questions she can ask them. Also, she may be giving you excuses because the people preferred another home and she is using yours as comparison. Another thing you can do, is not leave, go out into the yard or take your car a few houses away and sit and see what happens. Having worked with many buyers and watched also how other agents work, and today with all the listings on line, your realtor should only bring serious buyers......good luck

Respected Contributor

Although it’s been over 30 years, I can still remember what a pain it was to keep our condo clean and tidy for open houses, so I sympathize with you. People want to see what’s available, whether they’re really looking to buy or just thinking about it for future reference. They may also be scoping out the competition. You’d think the number of online real estate websites would cut down on those who aren’t really interested, but I guess some folks just don’t have enough to keep themselves busy. In an effort to keep the neighbors away from her open houses, one of our local realtors recently started holding “previews” for houses she’s going to list. She sends invitations out and asks for the neighbors’ feedback so she can factor it into the bona fide open houses. It’s a nice way of managing the neighbors.

Esteemed Contributor

@bakergirlwrote:

I sold real estate in NJ back in the late eighties and very early nineties. Your realtor that you will eventually pay commission to, should make sure her "buyers" are fully qualified for a mortgage and are serious buyers. There are a lot of questions she can ask them. Also, she may be giving you excuses because the people preferred another home and she is using yours as comparison. Another thing you can do, is not leave, go out into the yard or take your car a few houses away and sit and see what happens. Having worked with many buyers and watched also how other agents work, and today with all the listings on line, your realtor should only bring serious buyers......good luck

This. With everything online now there is no need for future buyers who are looking a couple years down the line to inconvenience anyone. 

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday you are right.I forgot about the online viewing...so easy to see ahead and be sure whether or not there is enough interest in the property.