Honored Contributor

Re: I am letting go of old perfumes!

A lot of perfumes it seems are just like clothing styles, they change with the times!  I was very into perfume for many years.  I was always picking up new ones and always searching for the perfect one!  A few years ago I started getting a sensitivity to the majority of scents - I would get a bad headache, feel sick to my stomach, etc.  I gave a lot of my perfumes away but still have a ton of them and probably some of them have turned.  I currently only wear 1 or 2, but not often.  If I could find one that was just so light and subtle, I would be so happy, but that has never happened --- so far!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Sooner  @AngelPuppy1   @ROMARY   @wagirl   @sometimesQVCaddict    ... I purchase perfumes as I use them.  My favorites are Burberry for special occasions and Calvin Klein for weekdays.  I just purchased a new 3.3 oz. Burberry and was stunned at the price increase.  Wow.

My main problem is gifted perfumes, colognes, lotions in scents I do not use.  I always try them and if I don't like them I donate.

I'm planning to try the new Dolly perfume.  It sounds as though I would like it but I hope to buy a small bottle first to make sure.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@AnikaBrodie wrote:

@Sooner  @AngelPuppy1   @ROMARY   @wagirl   @sometimesQVCaddict    ... I purchase perfumes as I use them.  My favorites are Burberry for special occasions and Calvin Klein for weekdays.  I just purchased a new 3.3 oz. Burberry and was stunned at the price increase.  Wow.

My main problem is gifted perfumes, colognes, lotions in scents I do not use.  I always try them and if I don't like them I donate.

I'm planning to try the new Dolly perfume.  It sounds as though I would like it but I hope to buy a small bottle first to make sure.

@AnikaBrodie I have some Burberry.  Where do you donate?  I was wondering if I wrap it really and mark what it is, should I take it to the Salvation Army with my other things?????

Honored Contributor

Remember Jean Nate body splash (or whatever it was or is called.

Nice lightly fragranced.

I'll have to look to see if it's still available, although who knows if it smells the same. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@AnikaBrodie 

If you can, let us know how you find the Dolly fragrance!  I love Dolly and think the bottle is just gorgeous but I hesitate to try it as I am afraid it would be overpowering.  Thanks! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@AnikaBrodie wrote:

@AnikaBrodie I have some Burberry.  Where do you donate?  I was wondering if I wrap it really and mark what it is, should I take it to the Salvation Army with my other things?????

@Sooner 

I mostly donate to Community Aid of PA, Goodwill, and a church thrift store.  All three have a person who accepts donations and helps unload items.  When I have liquid items I advise the donation center of this fact and I also wrap them to protect from breakage.

I do not donate Burberry but use it to the last drop!  Smiley Happy  It's my favorite.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@AnikaBrodie 

If you can, let us know how you find the Dolly fragrance!  I love Dolly and think the bottle is just gorgeous but I hesitate to try it as I am afraid it would be overpowering.  Thanks! 

@AngelPuppy1 

I saw "Dolly" fragrance advertised on another shopping channel recently.  I don't recall the price.  I also saw it advertised on line noting a small bottle for $10.00 was available as a starter.  I have not seen it in stores but I'm sure it will be there soon.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Got rid of my lifelong perfumes/fragrances long time ago...have become very sensitive to fragrance on my skin which I do not like, so I use what aromas I do like in candles and fragrance oils around the house.

Trusted Contributor

I have donated most all of mine too. I just find the fragrances all too strong now and they bother me and also I don't want to offend others too with a strong scent.

Super Contributor

I tried. I will say that this thread at least got me to make a bit of an effort at letting go of at least some. 

I love fragrance, I love perfume bottles, and I love the memories that both of those things evoke. Most of mine are kept inside my dresser drawers. I rotate and there are usually 3 choices on top of my dresser or bathroom vanity. I went through and pulled out and tossed a half dozen or so.  Still many more to go, but I doubt I will ever get rid of all of them.

And I still wear a single quick spritz or little dab of roll on something every day too.  I never did like the big powerhouse scents that were so popular way back, like Shalimar, Opium, Obsession, Fendi, etc. anyway.

But thanks for the bit of a push I needed to weed out a few. 

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".