Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: I always thought twin beds were for Fred and Wilma.

my hubs snores like a band saw and I have insomnia---not a good combo--we have separate beds----happily!!!

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I have never understood the big deal in "sleeping" together.  Your both asleep.  Makes no sense to me.  Romantic encounters can still take place, but sleep?  When your asleep whos aware?

Aww, I like to wake up and he's got his arm around me or is very close to me.

He's always on my side.  

We have a king bed and only half of it is slept on.

But I get that people don't want that.  I have pets, but have no desire to have them in the bed, not even the bedroom.  Door closed!

Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Because he has very painful neck and spinal issues, along with some other health problems, he convinced me last year to go with him to the Ortho Mattress store.  Long story short..... he spent $5000 on the bed we have now.  It's a comfortable bed, but never, ever would I have purchased a bed like that if not for him.  I don't feel him getting in and out of the bed until he yanks the covers. I like to cocoon myself when I sleep - so when he yanks the covers it "unwinds my cocoon" and of course wakes me up and I'm a very poor sleeper to begin with. In the cooler months, I use a weighted blanket.  It only covers my half of the bed, but once in a while I push it off me and it lays between us.  He says, "MUST we sleep with this manatee in the bed?", lol .   

@house_cat   I agree on the price of the bed!  He bought it before I moved in.  I like it, but was more than I would spend on a mattress.  That aside, reading your post gave me another idea..... how about separate sheets/blankets for each side of the bed?  (that hopefully won't bunch up between you!)

Honored Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

@house_cat wrote:

Because he has very painful neck and spinal issues, along with some other health problems, he convinced me last year to go with him to the Ortho Mattress store.  Long story short..... he spent $5000 on the bed we have now.  It's a comfortable bed, but never, ever would I have purchased a bed like that if not for him.  I don't feel him getting in and out of the bed until he yanks the covers. I like to cocoon myself when I sleep - so when he yanks the covers it "unwinds my cocoon" and of course wakes me up and I'm a very poor sleeper to begin with. In the cooler months, I use a weighted blanket.  It only covers my half of the bed, but once in a while I push it off me and it lays between us.  He says, "MUST we sleep with this manatee in the bed?", lol .   

@house_cat   I agree on the price of the bed!  He bought it before I moved in.  I like it, but was more than I would spend on a mattress.  That aside, reading your post gave me another idea..... how about separate sheets/blankets for each side of the bed?  (that hopefully won't bunch up between you!)

@ItsME  That’s what we do. Separate covers. Works well as I don’t like to wake up cold and with no covers on me at all! We each have our own.

Super Contributor

I've been married for 35 yrs. and we sleep in seperate rooms. DH does not like having the ceiling fan on, he likes his room too warm for me, he wears that horrible sleeping machine mask that blows air in my face all night. Before the mask he snored loud enough to wake the dead. My friend was visiting one day and we were on the other side of the house and she asked me about the horrible noise and I had to tell her it was my DH snoring away. Which is why he now needs the machine. It is much better for me to have my own room. When I was younger I would go to sleep in the same room and have to get up in the middle of the night and move anyway. On a cruise we always opt for the twin bed setup. 

Super Contributor

Gosh I never thought it would happen to me too!  But,  between not sleeping well, waking up, snoring and my hot flashes, the cats etc.. we both just want to to sleep when we can.  

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I have never understood the big deal in "sleeping" together.  Your both asleep.  Makes no sense to me.  Romantic encounters can still take place, but sleep?  When your asleep whos aware?

Aww, I like to wake up and he's got his arm around me or is very close to me.

He's always on my side.  

We have a king bed and only half of it is slept on.

But I get that people don't want that.  I have pets, but have no desire to have them in the bed, not even the bedroom.  Door closed!

I'm with you.   I like to wake up and be able to reach out and touch my husband's arm or leg, especially if I've had a bad dream.   Another thing, I always worry that if he passes away before I do, I will be spending the rest of my life sleeping alone.  

I don't want to start doing that while I still have him in my life.    My Dad died young and my Mom spent the rest of her life alone.   She always told me that having my Dad near her while she slept was one of the things she missed the most.   

Respected Contributor

I'm for separate bathrooms.

Honored Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

I'm for separate bathrooms.

@ahoymate .....Thankfully we have 2 full baths in our house...so I don't have to share a bathroom....some men are very messy!

Respected Contributor

@ahoymate @Mom2Dogs   I'm a realtor.  I worked with a couple a few years ago with selling one home and purchasing another.  When they buy a house, they pull space from a closet in the MBR to make an extra half bath for him, then reconfigure and reorganize the closet to accomodate as many clothes as it could before.  They share a shower and tub, but that's it.  It's a great idea!