Super Contributor

Re: I Think I Found A Condo I Like.

My brother has an elevator.   He has a phone in there as a safeguard if it were to get stuck.   There's always a way to work around issues. 

Regular Contributor

I am 73 years old and 2 years ago, moved into my current home - a one floor condo.  I love it.

Moving was stressful but, thankfully, my daughter and granddaughter helped me pack.

I love my space.  It's easy to keep clean and my development is beautiful.

There are 86 condos and everyone, renters included, takes pride in how we look.  Our development has the best reputation in our small city and condos fly off the market as soon as they become available.  We don't have that much turn over.

No longer needing to shovel, have a driveway plowed, grass mowed is a gift.  No worries about roofs either.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm  DD just doesn't want to be sandwiched right next to another unit.  Shae too many neighbors way too close. She has spent 50 years with open space and no neighbors beside, behind and in front of you.

The elevator is only needed to go to the basement. The actual living space is all on one floor.

Super Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 @I will not offer advice, I'm not sure what I'd do either. But I wish you the best of luck in your decision. The condo sounds lovely. 

Honored Contributor

70 certainly is not "too old" to buy  home you love.  If you can afford it, if it won't present a financial hardship.  It is a lot of house for a single woman but my bff built her 9 room dream house when she was 65.  Your kids are irrelevant, they aren't buying the house and it shouldn't matter what they do with it when you are gone.  It sounds wonderful, it sounds like  something I would love.  If you like, can afford it, are interested in it.....explore the possibility.

Honored Contributor

We have lived where we're at for 30 yrs.  We just put in new windows and doors, remodeled the kitchen just a few short years ago, and put in a new heating and cooling system. Both vehicles are fairly new and paid off.  We have a generator if we lose power.  I could afford to have the lawn taken care of if I was alone and couldn't do it myself. This is  why I am leaning towards staying.... even if something would happen to DH.

At the same time, I do realize that life is unpredictable so "never say never".  My grandfather always told us if you own land and/or property you have the final say and the land always gives back.  Probably a lot of people think that doesn't hold true today but I tend to think he was right.

You sound like you still have your wits about you...Ha!!  Knowing that, I think the decision is yours and only yours!   

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 Of course you must do what seems best for yourself.  

If it were me, I would stay put as long as my DD was happy to stay.  Since the two of you enjoy being together, it is a real bonus for you.  If it gets to a point where DD wants to move out on her own, then I would consider moving too.

I have never been keen on condos, because of HOA fees and assessments.  Renting is less expense.  Has it drawbacks too, but in the long run most cost effective.

Good luck in your decision!

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

I certainly wish you the best with your decision, altho my mind sees moving quite differently than most.  

In reference to your stroke, my mother had a mini stroke at some point in her mid 70's. It wasn't something she was aware of; it just showed up on an MRI she had done for another reason.  We were surprised to hear about the TIA; Mom seemed fine, nothing noticeable going on, but my brothers and I were always alert.   And then one day there was a bold "in my face sign" that Mom was different, and it all started with her response to something I said.  I asked the doctor to test Mom for dementia, and she failed the simple office test miserably.   

Mom was diagnosed with vascular dementia 3 years ago this month, but was at least 5+ years into cognitive decline by then, and now at 86, is in the last functional stage.  She still lives alone in her house across the road, and functions by her daily routine.  In her house she knows exactly what to do, but anywhere else, she is a fish out of water.   

Before I retired 7 years ago, the widowed parent of a work friend decided to sell the family home and buy a small townhouse.   His wife had worked so hard to put her personal touch on every room, and he said the memories there were just too much for him.  The kids happily moved their dad to a much smaller, comfy place in town where he was closer to everything he needed, and closer to their work.  

Sadly, less than 6 months later, dad was dead.   The stress of moving, downsizing, and adapting to new surroundings sent the man into a rapid mental decline, requiring his admission to a memory care unit, where he died.   His kids never thought this kind of thing could happen, but it did.   

Honored Contributor

@alicedee 

I too was taught that you should always own a piece of land!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@alicedee 

I too was taught that you should always own a piece of land!

I remember ScarlettO'Hara getting that message in Gone With The Wind, too.  Land IS a very good, secure thing to own.

Many of us come to a point where it doesn't work anymore.  Volunteering at the nursing home...in a very nice city full of lovely homes....I have seen so many older people who had to leave their wonderful properties (some almost overnight)...and their life is now a small room, often shared with another person.  All their "stuff" fits into a little closet and two drawers.  No matter how much they planned and enjoyed their property, there came a time they had to let it go.  

I guess my point is...for me, it is good to be flexible and willing to adapt to different stages of life or changes that are thrust upon us.  Everyone should do what works best for their own situation.