Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Think I Found A Condo I Like.

I feel as if I did my kids and myself a favor by selling the house and downsizing to an end unit condo at age 61, while I still had the energy to do so. Oldest wanted me to move near his wife and him. Very happy with my decision. 

It's a good time to sell your house if you have the financials in place to make the move. I assume you own your house outright. Are you OK with living alone if DD goes her own way? Realistically, is that condo too large/too much upkeep for you going forward? Don't rent to her- sell if you are going to make the move. Time to get financials and documents in order if you will have a mortgage, at least a bridge loan until your house sells.

Respected Contributor

Of course I do not know you, but always enjoy reading your posts. Sounds like you and your daughter have a great relationship, why mess with that? Why go far from your family, especially with health issues. That puts a burden on all of you. Then again I only know you from what you write, and not the day to day family "stuff." Good luck in whatever you decide.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it sounds promising but the Hoa fees need some scrutiny, as well as what they have in reserves.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I've always thought you and your daughter really enjoyed living together.  If you moved you wouldn't have that company daily.  I wouldn't want to live further away from my children.

I have a good friend who lives in a condo, and she is always being assessed for something as @JasoninBoston mentioned.  I would think about it long and hard before deciding to do this.

On top of that you wouldn't get to be with Petunia every day! 😊

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

"I think they are concerned because they would be quite a bit farther away if I had anymore health issues. Right now 1 lives with me and my son is only 4 miles away."

They are right.  At your age, there's no way to know what's down the road.  Having a daughter living with you is a blessing.  

Honored Contributor

IMO, the condo sounds too big for one person.  Can you manage the stairs, cleaning, etc.?  And Jason made a good point about the assessments and the buildings financials.  Check it all out carefully.  And good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack  We do enjoy each other's company and we get along.  When I saw this unit my mind was planning.  I don't need huge master suite. DD could have that for all her sewing stuff. Her sewing table would work great in the sitting area, it has 4 windows and plenty of light. She has more "stuff" than I do.

I would be happy if she wanted to move there too but she is adament, way too close to people.

We'll see how things shake out.

Petunia can come stay for the weekend and visit.

Esteemed Contributor

@kaydee50   One floor.  No steps to basement, the darn place has an elevator.

I thought I was another closet, nope elevator.

Esteemed Contributor

@JasoninBoston   Wow!! I'm sorry that happened to you. DH & I own 2 condos.One we've owned for 35 years & the other,the townhouse we live in for 31 years. We were only assessed once for $500. 
  We live in New York.On Long Island.The cost of living is high here.But apparently not as high as Boston. Our common charges are way lower than $800,& our taxes are lower than $8000. Our development is beautiful.We are 100 units on 28 acres.We have 2 pools, 2 tennis courts, a basketball court & a playground.We also have a beautiful clubhouse.

Could it be that your homeowners association made bad decisions or gave inflated contracts to "friends"? I ask because they tried it here & we stopped them. About 10 years ago the president of our HOA gave his friend a contract to repave the development that would have cost over $200,000. It only needed some patchwork.We signed a petition & forced the board members responsible to resign. The patchwork was done for about $32,000.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@kaydee50   One floor.  No steps to basement, the darn place has an elevator.

I thought I was another closet, nope elevator.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I would be afraid the elevator would get stuck with no one there to help.  I've always been afraid of an elevator in a house.

My father lived in an Independent Living community for several years, and their elevator was always getting stuck.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau