Respected Contributor

i love it.  somebody did a fabulous job of putting this together. 

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@OKPrincess    To keep children safely inside and animals outside.  It also provided extra light and air flow when desired.

@aroc3435  I can see it being handy in the days before safety concerns and AC. Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Nice space!

Just get rid of those awful curtains.

Honored Contributor

so cute!

Respected Contributor

I love them, but I would need a screen to leave it open like that!!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Esteemed Contributor

Growing up.....my dad was a carpenter and built our family home..........he made a dutch door in the back kitchen area....we LOVED IT......used it all the time.......to keep things in....keep things out (next door's pets...haa.).....call to the kids in the yard to come in, etc.  Its funny my parents sold the house some years back....and when we drove by the new owners had built everywhere onto the house so it was so much bigger..............but the one thing they kept was my dad's dutch door  (as a neighbor told us)...great memories....

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's nicely down but I don't like Dutch doors. I had one in a cottage style house with kids and dogs and it was a pain. I think it would be nicer in a sunroom/patio instead of the main entry. IMO

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Love a Dutch Door...

[ Edited ]

I think this is just charming, everything except the ceiling light, which I would change.  Not too practical, tho.  I would want a screen door for bugs, but then wonder if it would deflect from the charm.

I can picture this foyer in a European style home.

Honored Contributor

Didn’t know this was called a Dutch Door.

I jutst think of it as a Mr. Ed Door! 😉

9DBF60F7-B7E2-48D7-9601-12B6382DC629.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Re: I Love a Dutch Door...

[ Edited ]

Dutch doors these days are probably more about charm than practicality... Some of them have a sliding bolt that joins the top and bottom sections that can be engaged so that one can open the entire door or disengaged, so as to only open the top. A screen door could probably be installed outside the door to ellminate pests getting in but would almost certainly negate the appearance of the door itself. As for the purpose, according to Wickipedia... 

"The initial purpose of this door design was to keep animals out of farmhouses or to keep children inside while allowing light and air to filter through the open top; essentially combining a door with a fairly large window. When the top half was open they also allowed a breeze, but stopped the wind from blowing dirt into the house."

In my pantry with my cupcakes...