Honored Contributor

Re: Hypothetical question (not really)

No.  I'd be flattered and think of it as this person thinks I have good taste.

Honored Contributor

If it was a friend or neighbor, I would not like them copying my look.  They need to get their own look.  Everyone is an individual so be one and choose your own design.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I can understand feeling some annoyance. Our homes are our personal spaces, our nests. For the most part the work and upkeep we do supports our plans and dreams for our living choices and styles. Being blatantly copied -- the occasional lampshade or sidechair is not the issue here -- must feel like a plagiarism, even an intellectual (maybe more correctly called emotional) theft of sorts.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IamMrsG wrote:

I can understand feeling some annoyance. Our homes are our personal spaces, our nests. For the most part the work and upkeep we do supports our plans and dreams for our living choices and styles. Being blatantly copied -- the occasional lampshade or sidechair is not the issue here -- must feel like a plagiarism, even an intellectual (maybe more correctly called emotional) theft of sorts.

@IamMrsG  You have nailed why this is bothering me.

Honored Contributor

@sweetee2  now that person was rude but the circumstances are quite different.

Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

@QVCkitty1 I think I would let it go BUT it would likely affect my relationship with this person. I would certainly no longer discuss my decorating plans and sources for shopping with her.

Did she tell you about the purchase or did you find out from someone else? I would be a bit more forgiving if she told me, even after her purchase.

@queendiva  I was told after the purchase.

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@faeriemoon 

I'm right there with you. I used to have a neighbor who would "copy" me. Initially, it was flattering, but when it became excessive, I became annoyed. It got to the point where I didn't even want her to see how I was decorating.

@magicmoodz That's how I feel.  And it's why I'm always vague about where I get things.

Respected Contributor

I guess I am the odd one out for this one.  I would be annoyed if someone copied my look that I spent much time developing.  I would want it to be unique.

Now just a specific item or two, that is different - wouldn't bother me, but a complete "look" that I want to say "me" - No!

Same way with clothes.  If I go somewhere and see someone in the same thing, I try to blend in away from her area.  A woman I worked with used to do that to me - buy the same thing I had if she liked it.  She knew she could wear it to work because I would no longer wear mine.  That is just me.

I used to have to be real careful if I said I liked something around my former sister-in-law.  The next thing I knew, she would have it.  I tried to be careful as my brother had to pay for all this!

Honored Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

I guess I am the odd one out for this one.  I would be annoyed if someone copied my look that I spent much time developing.  I would want it to be unique.

Now just a specific item or two, that is different - wouldn't bother me, but a complete "look" that I want to say "me" - No!

Same way with clothes.  If I go somewhere and see someone in the same thing, I try to blend in away from her area.  A woman I worked with used to do that to me - buy the same thing I had if she liked it.  She knew she could wear it to work because I would no longer wear mine.  That is just me.

I used to have to be real careful if I said I liked something around my former sister-in-law.  The next thing I knew, she would have it.  I tried to be careful as my brother had to pay for all this!

Exactly!!

Honored Contributor

I haven't read the replies, but I can say I had a friend who did something like this years ago, but more about fashion and lifestyle things than home decor. It seems everything I did, she was doing. And it was strange, because we were so different, that she would copy me. 

But I didn't let it bother me. As I'm sure others have already said, there is an element of flattery in someone copying your style and choices. I guess you just have to figure out where the line is crossed between flattery and obsession!