Honored Contributor

I had a previous thread about getting white towels back to white.  One lady suggested hydrogen peroxide but before she did, I had read an article on this and with her reply decided to try it.  You add one cup of hydrogen perioxide to your white load.  I also read that you can test your hydrogen peroxide to make sure it is fresh by pouring into a glass and if it fizzes it is okay.  First I have to buy the peroxide and once I try it, I will let you know how it turned out.  Thank you all for your replies to the 1st thread I wrote.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: Hydrogen Peroxide to whiten

I use HP in a spray bottle directly on what I want whitened. I can't think that a cup in a load of wash would work. It would be too diluted. Still, worth a try, HP is plenty inexpensive.

Trusted Contributor

@occasionalrain  I've used it that way, too; our housekeeper showed me how to get stains out of white sheets that way.  A cup of hydrogen peroxide in the bleach dispenser works great and it doesn't damage or weaken fabrics.  I've used it many times with success.

Let us know how it works out for you, @Katcat1 .

Honored Contributor

I've tried using it to get blood out of something and had no success.

Honored Contributor

I would not use it for laundry

bleach and hot water, dry out side if you can in the sun 

Trusted Contributor

I pour about about a Tbs of it on colored clothing with any organic stain.  It removes the stain without fading the color.  My cat vomited blood on my beige carpet.  I removed it by pouring direct from the bottle several times and it worked.  The towels would have to be discolored from body oils or other organic materials for Hydrogen Peroxide to be effective and my guess is that a cup would not be enough.

Esteemed Contributor

I've used hydrogen peroxide to get out protein based strains (basically blood and other things that come out of a body). 

I have an old sprayer that fits the threads of a hydrogen peroxide bottle, so having the right label on the bottle is taken care of.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Another whitening agent to use in the laundry is sodium percarbonate. That is the active ingredient in all of those 'oxygen whiteners' such as OxiClean. Sodium percarbonate is basically a mixed compound of washing soda and hydrogen peroxide, chemically bound together in a powder form. All you do is add it to your wash. It's color-safe, too. Cheap, safe and effective. It's a multipurpose product that can even be used to whiten dentures. Buy it by the pound on amazon.

ETA - A note about hydrogen peroxide...

Hydrogen peroxide is rapidly degraded by light and heat. For best results always store it in the original dark opaque bottle, preferably in the fridge. Storing HP in the fridge will help keep it from going bad.

Honored Contributor

Using peroxide in the laundry has several benefits; whitens whites, kills bacteria on the clothing in the washer, also cuts soap scum and deodorizes the drain.  

The smell we complain about with a washer, is also from the soap scum and stagnant water in the drain.   White vinegar, peroxide and bleach work great to clean inside the washer and attack the sludge in the drain line.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

Another whitening agent to use in the laundry is sodium percarbonate. That is the active ingredient in all of those 'oxygen whiteners' such as OxiClean. Sodium percarbonate is basically a mixed compound of washing soda and hydrogen peroxide, chemically bound together in a powder form. All you do is add it to your wash. It's color-safe, too. Cheap, safe and effective. It's a multipurpose product that can even be used to whiten dentures. Buy it by the pound on amazon.

ETA - A note about hydrogen peroxide...

Hydrogen peroxide is rapidly degraded by light and heat. For best results always store it in the original dark opaque bottle, preferably in the fridge. Storing HP in the fridge will help keep it from going bad.

Yes,it is really good the sodium  percarbonate.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.