Respected Contributor

The last four years we have had only a few buds on our plant. This year they are amazing! Here is a photo of the bush:

IMG_7060.JPG

I was hoping it was blue but I think it is pink now it is almost done blooming. It was suppose to be blue but has always been pink. Maybe next year I will get some soil made to make them blue. I hope everyone's are this beautiful this year. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Is that a lace hydrangea or a mop head?  My neighbor has a green one, the big mop heads - it is just huge! 

Esteemed Contributor

My hydrangeas are amazing this year.  The one in @MKR14 photo looks like it's part of the CityLine collection from Proven Winners.  CityLine is a collection of compact  macrophylla hydrangeas that are specifically bred to naturally be various colors from reds to deep blues. You can change the color of a hydrangea with acid, but that actually takes two or three seasons to fully accomplish. 

I have bluish ones as well as a couple of stunning CityLine reds and Cottage Farms Pistachio hydrangeas. .  

Trusted Contributor

MKR...the same with my bushes here in southern Ct.....I have about 8 bushes and hundreds of flowers....these are the first flowers we have gotten in the past 4 years.......love them,I have cut some and have hydrangeas all over in my house !!

Respected Contributor

Re: Hydrangea this year

[ Edited ]

@Trix Not sure what kind this is as we bought it several years ago. I appreciate knowing what it is. I usually keep the tag that comes on plants I buy but my husband likes to throw them away. The last time it bloomed it was a light pink. Thanks for the comments. I am so excited to see it bloom again. We did move it from the front yard to the back yard a couple years ago and the soil may be better where it is now. Please post any photos you have of yours. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@MKR14, isn't that gorgeous!!!   Mine have yet to bloom.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@MKR14 Your hydrangea is beautiful and looks so healthy. I snapped a picture of two that I planted together that are called "red" hydrangeas. They looked more burgundy (nine years ago) than red and are turning bluish now. If I fed them properly they would probably turn the color they were supposed to be at one time. LOL I'm really bad about doing that.

0707171705a (480x640).jpg

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

@pattypeep These are beautiful and I love them. I have only one bush and they do look a lot like yours. The colors are different this year as the colors are so more vibrant than ever before. Maybe the backyard soil is better than where it had been planted. We have done nothing but replant them. No Miracle Grow or nothing. Thanks for posting. I love seeing others as well as posting my own. Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MKR14

Your hydrangea is beautiful! I love how you can grow different colors by changing the soil. I'm glad you found the perfect spot for it.

@Trix

You sound like a very experienced gardener. I bet your hydrangeas are stunning. I hope you will post some pictures.

@pattypeep

Your hydrangeas are gorgeous, and so huge!

@Genny1

Your hydrangeas sound impressive. I hope you will post some pictures of them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MKR14 wrote:

The last four years we have had only a few buds on our plant. This year they are amazing! Here is a photo of the bush:

IMG_7060.JPG

I was hoping it was blue but I think it is pink now it is almost done blooming. It was suppose to be blue but has always been pink. Maybe next year I will get some soil made to make them blue. I hope everyone's are this beautiful this year. Smiley Happy

@MKR14  They look blue-purple to me, not pink.  I love this color.  I have Nikko Blue and it can be what I call blue, naturally, not purple, but this year they are blooming purple so must be the acidic fertilizer I used, whereas if I don't use it, they are the light blue.

My Nikko Blue

DSCF1190.JPGDSCF0735.JPG