Honored Contributor

How to store lavender sachet bags?

[ Edited ]

I just ordered these 24 lavender sachet bags to add to blankets which I crochet for charity and for gifts.  

What is the best way to preserve them until I need them?  Is it okay to store them in a Lock-and-Lock container?  

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 10.30.41 AM.png

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: How to store lavender sachet bags?

@house_cat 

How nice to share your crocheted items and add the sachet.

As for storing them I'd say yes to LNL but would not use again for food storage.  I say this because I buy those sachet envelopes and store them in a LNL and the scent stays -- even after washing.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat @homedecor1 I agree with home decor. The LnL would protect the sachets, but I'd use glass with a tight lid if I wanted to be able to reuse the LnL for food.

Honored Contributor

Found this online 

How do you preserve fresh lavender?
Insert your fully dried Lavender flower buds into zip lock bags, or airtight containers and store it away from light, heat, and humidity to preserve its fragrance, color and to avoid mold and rot. Generally, dried Lavender will keep its delightful fragrance for a season.
To refresh a sachet or an eye/neck pillow, vigorously fluff the sachet/pillow or scrub it in your hands. This will release oil from the flower buds. Lavender sachets can hold fragrance over 20 years.
I never knew they could hold fragrance for 20 years.
Esteemed Contributor

I use my Food Saver and vacuum seal my lavender. Keeps it fresh and saves storage space.

Respected Contributor

@rochelleS wrote:

I use my Food Saver and vacuum seal my lavender. Keeps it fresh and saves storage space.

Me too.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, everyone!

I assure you I have enough L&L to spare one for this purpose, lol.... and I have a Food Saver, too. It never occurred to me to use the Food Saver.  That's why I ask questions here - my forum friends are so wise!

Owl on Apple iOS 13.1

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Zip-loc bags allow the scent of onions to permeate the frig, so I'm assuming they would also allow lavender to escape.  Lock n' Lock works for my onions, so I'd use one for lavender also.

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat 

You may need to put a little dessicate pack in with the sachets if you are sealing the sachets in a L&L.  If any moisture in the air or residual moisture in the sachets when you close the container, it will also be locked in too. 

Honored Contributor

@house_cat   HOw about an airtight large plastic bag?  That will keep them fresh.

kindness is strength