Respected Contributor

How to dispose of Harry Slatkin candles

I have two of the four wick glass candles that are done. They still have a little wax in them but no longer burn fully so I want to get rid of them. Do I have to scrape out the wax to recycle them? Do I just recycle them as is? Or throw away? I don’t know what to do. Any advice that doesn’t involve a lot of manual labor, I appreciate 😀

Honored Contributor

Re: How to dispose of Harry Slatkin candles

We don't recycle that kind of glass so I throw them away.

Occasional Contributor

Are these the ones with the really nice heavy glass jars like the ones offered last fall and last Christmas?  If so, they make really nice dresser jars.  I scraped the wax out and wiped the jar with a paper towel.  Then I poured almost boiling water into the jar to melt what was left, poured it out, and wiped again with a paper towel.  I had 10 of them, so I donated them to a local thrift store.

Esteemed Contributor

I scrape out the bottom wax and throw them in the recycle bin if you don't want to use the glass container. I do so I soak them in a bucket with some Dawn dish liquid and warm water for a couple of day. Scrape the labels off and any residue wax usually has floated to the surface. I clean them out with some glass cleaner and use them for cotton balls, office supplies , misc buttons, etc.

Honored Contributor

@GrouchomarxIf there's a recycle triangle on the bottom and you want to try to clean up, put them in the freezer for a few hours.  That makes it easier to get rid of the wax.

If there's no recycle marking, toss them.   And if you don't intend to clean them, toss them also.    

Recyclers are becoming more and more reluctant to pick up "dirty" batches -  they're already having trouble selling what's clean. We have open recycling bins in our HOA and we've noticed more and more bins being left behind still full because people are ignoring what they're asked to do -   no foods, no plastic bags, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops : true of my HOA as well. People either throw away recyclables, or recycle dirty items, put recyclables in plastic trash bags (!) instead of the bins provided free of charge. A shocking number of people think you can recycle styrofoam and take-out coffee cups and lids.

Grade school kids know better than adults about recycling.

Esteemed Contributor

Our system doesn't take decorative glass of any kind.  When I threw Harry out after the wax was done.......I wrapped it in a plastic bag (in case the glass broke when it hit the truck) and just threw it in the kitchen garbage bag.

( don't want broken glass in your neighborhood street)  problem solved.

Honored Contributor

Throw them out.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

When the remaining wax is cool (about 1" to 2" left in the container), put the container in your freezer for about 15 to 20 minutes. When you take it out of the freezer, nudge one edge of the wax with a dinner knife, and it should pop right out in a disc. Throw the disc away and put the glass container in your dishwasher to clean it and use it for other purposes. If the disc of wax still has a nice scent, you can break it into pieces to use in a wax melter. I try to repurpose nice candle holders for other purposes, and this method is the cleanest and easiest for doing that.

Respected Contributor

@Rainbowsarefree wrote:

Are these the ones with the really nice heavy glass jars like the ones offered last fall and last Christmas?  If so, they make really nice dresser jars.  I scraped the wax out and wiped the jar with a paper towel.  Then I poured almost boiling water into the jar to melt what was left, poured it out, and wiped again with a paper towel.  I had 10 of them, so I donated them to a local thrift store.

I do the same thing ... they are great jars ....