Esteemed Contributor

Re: How to decorate an unused fireplace

We have two fireplaces in our home. These work great for ambiance especially during warm weather months.

Honored Contributor

I love candles in an unused fireplace.

Honored Contributor

Candles. I prefer the look of the real ones, though. Smile

I have this candelabra:

Contributor

I have two unused fireplaces. In the one I have flameless candles. A few years ago I found what looks like a log with metal discs on top to hold candles. I found it at Pier 1. I haven't looked in awhile but maybe they still carry something similiar. In my other fireplace I have a basket that's filled with logs and sometimes I'll put those picks that look like faux berries in with the logs.

Honored Contributor

I once saw an unused fireplace with a giant fern in it-gorgeous. I imagine you'd have to keep turning it!

Regular Contributor

On 1/23/2014 MarLoCat said:

Thanks for the pictures. I love the first and second ones. In the summer, I'll do one of these. Right now it's in use. It's cold here ladies! LOL

Occasional Contributor

My sister uses a candelabra with flameless votives in her unused fireplace but now has the Valerie mercury glass spheres for a change- beautiful!
Honored Contributor

I used to have a "Liberace-style" candelabra in the fireplace......but now I have electric logs. (I need the extra warmth because I have a heat pump, which isn't efficient in very cold weather.)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

This isn't elegant or anything, but I once saw a pic of how somebody turned it into a nice, cozy dog bed.

Re: the pics that MarLo posted - I think the second one down is stunning.

Honored Contributor

I always liked that boxed look, maybe with pieces of wood, or pine branches and pine cones in it. First thought.