Honored Contributor

How often do you replace your furniture?

Bedroom, front room etc?   Am I an odd ball here?  We bought new front room furniture and bedroom furniture when we bought  our home 26 years ago.  We still have it and will probably have it until we leave this earthly plane.  It still looks like new actually and I like it!  So is  my keeping my furniture that long strange? What do you all do?

Now , I had a boss who was quite wealthy  at my last job... and every few years she would donate her furniture and replace and redecorate her entire home  with new furniture...s.... I was always in awe of that .. but also understood her income was a lot more than ours. 

Do you think most people keep the same furniture for years and years rather than redecorating?   What do YOU DO?

Super Contributor

Re: How often do you replace your furniture?

We have had most of our furniture for over 35 years.  We have replaced the sofa/chairs/etc when they are worn.  I have antiques over 200 years old.  I do not furnish in trendy styles, but that is my choice and it works for us. 

Honored Contributor

If anything of mine is worn or uncomfortable, then I replace it. I have a few antique pieces that are in great shape that I will keep. Mostly its the small decor stuff, like sofa pillows, lamps, slip covers that I get tired of and replace. When I got new carpeting last year, I got rid of alot of frou-frou dust collector stuff--mostly candles and some wall pics, stuffed animals. I took down the valances I made for over my blinds too.  If I had a boatload of cash--I would replace it all. 

Esteemed Contributor

Most of my living room furniture is 28 yrs old.  It is This End Up (remember the stores in the malls?).  About 13 years ago I replaced the cushions and covers on couch, love seat and oteman.  

Valued Contributor

I’m an antiques lover, so I rarely replace anything. My home is decorated in traditional, so it’s timeless for the most part. I replace curtains from time to time, but rarely furniture.  I had a sleeper sofa and a loveseat that I gave to my son when he moved out, but I didn’t replace those items with anything new. Now, all that being said, DH and and I are looking to downsize into a smaller house, so we’ll definitely need to get rid of lots of stuff then.

Esteemed Contributor

my son took his old bedroom furniture to college and I bought him a new set that I will never replace, it’s sturdy and heavy, solid wood. 

Our guest bedroom got our old furniture suite and we bought a new set 2 years ago when our home was built. I don’t see me replacing it. 

Living room furniture I replace around every 10 years. I get tired of it and give it away. I’m already getting tired of the one I have now. 

Honored Contributor

@Ladylaughsalot wrote:

I’m an antiques lover, so I rarely replace anything. My home is decorated in traditional, so it’s timeless for the most part. I replace curtains from time to time, but rarely furniture.  I had a sleeper sofa and a loveseat that I gave to my son when he moved out, but I didn’t replace those items with anything new. Now, all that being said, DH and and I are looking to downsize into a smaller house, so we’ll definitely need to get rid of lots of stuff then.

@Ladylaughsalot    yes... if and when we downsize and move to our final home with a small yard... I will get new furniture then if and when that happens  ..

Respected Contributor

My family room furniture is what I bought for my living room about 25 years ago, when I was in and apartment with only a living room.  I still love it, and have no interest in changing it out.

I am changing out my bedroom set which is 13 years old.  I like it, except that the drawers are not deep enough.  BUT the reason I'm changing it out is to take my parent's bedroom set, which is much older.  Contemporary in style, but an older.   Mom downsized and doesn't have room for the set, so I gave her my armoire and I'll take her whole set.  My father built the bed frame, so it has a lot of sentimental value to me.   

Honored Contributor

When we got married, my parents allowed me to take my bedroom furniture.  We used it in the master until about 10 years ago, then placed it in a spare bedroom and got a new set.

I have been married for 45years and I am my third set of living room furniture.  We raised three children.  The last time, we only replaced the upholstered items and kept the wood accent pieces.  My dining room was my mother's...purchased in 1963.

My kitchen table/ chairs is about 25 years old.  It was very, very expensive when I splurge purchased it.  I saw it in a window while we were on vacation in VA and went in to special order it.

i have always purchased good furniture, never the cheap throw away stuff.  We live in our home and use the furniture, but it doesn't really wear out.  I take care of my things so they last for a long time.

BTW, we gave our used LR furniture to friends when we bought new.  It was not worn out, I just wanted a different decor color.

I wanted to mention that I had the exact sofa from the Rosanne Show....remember that rust colored plaid sofa?  I got a great deal on it.  The salesman said it was too wide to fit through most doorways, so each time they went to deliver it, they had to bring it back to the showroom.

My DH removed a large picture window to get it into the house.  When we moved, we donated it to a neighbor who removed their patio door to get it into their rec room.

Honored Contributor

When it's worn.  I bought quality furniture to begin with and it wasn't cheap.  We have a Thomasville dining room set that I got the year after we married and now it's 35 years old.  It's in excellent condition but somewhat dated.  I try to give rooms and updated look with fresh accessories.

We have an older Ethan Allen sofa & chairs in the living room that are over 20 years old and a Dane Decor leather sectional in the family room that's around the same age.  All are in great shape but I will need to replace my mattress soon.

I also know someone in my neighborhood who redecorates, remodels & replaces furniture every few years.  She's a bit obsessive about it and I guess they can afford it.  I can't afford to replace furniture often so I would rather get a classic style and the best that I can afford and hope that it lasts.