Esteemed Contributor

Re: How long would it take you to pack up your home?

Definately a stressful situation.  I most likely could get my packing done in about a month.

When we downsized to our townhouse we were fortunate we could take our time. We were able to purge and donate what we no longer needed and had our adult kids come and take what was theirs and anything else they wanted.   We had the photos taken before moving and then the house was actually marketed empty.

There are different opinions on that but we just preferred not to have strangers walking through our 3000 sq foot home.   We did have a mover for mostly just the furniture, we did a lot of boxes ourselves.  I don't plan on moving again but you never know.  If we did I think I would hire some packers as well as movers this time.

My friend and realtor told me that the worst thing for her is getting through to people that they need to be out before closing!  It drives her crazy when they actually think they can close and then go back and finish moving.........LOL, I would never want her job.

Honored Contributor

A week or less.  The house is totally decluttered.  I could be out quickly. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Thanks to my years of decluttering, my husband and I could have our personal stuff packed up in about 5 days.   Our daughters would need at least a month to pack their stuff!   

Respected Contributor

I have a lot of stuff and one day I know I will sell. So I think I would pack a room a day. I usually move my boxes and clothes. And have all the heavy stuff moved by movers.

Honored Contributor

Going thru that process right now--plan on selling the house in January so now we are packing up the clutter for the photos the realtor will be taking---and when that is done, then I am going thru more stuff for the  big move---just makes me crazy---had a tree fall on the house in 2018---had to pack up and move to a rental while being re built---then from from the rental back home and a year later---another move-----Woman Sad

Esteemed Contributor

When I put our  house on the market, It sold on the first week. So I had 30 days to get out.  

I had help, DH and his brother came and took all the furniture as well as empty out the shed and storage room outside and I packed daily. My family came and helped the day everything was ready for storage.

We created an assembly line and I grabbed a box and we just passed it down until it reached the moving truck.

Trusted Contributor

Probably about one month. I would hire professional packers where possible but my last move I packed everything except the kitchen myself. I would want time for an estate sale, so that may take a bit longer.

I've been decluttering pretty steadily for the past two years so I'm down to mostly collectibles, artwork, and furniture now. Oh, and all that lawn care stuff in the garage.

Most of my things are still in storage from my last move -- I moved in with my elderly mother and have been purging my parents' things. I intend to move in a few years - Mom is in a care home at age 94 so I'm going to stay here until she passes, then decide where to go after that. I want to have household goods pretty streamlined by then!

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

I, too, love California. We've been here 20 years and I don't regret it, but the change in climate and the constant threat of fires has become a deal breaker. We haven't had a drop of rain in at least 8 months and I don't see it getting any better.  In addition to that, I can't afford to retire here.

My son and DIL are in North Carolina and we're building a modest "forever home" in their area. 

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Lived here over 40 years. House is filled with many good memories but also, unfortunately, too much to pack ourselves. Would love to have an estate sale & then donate the rest or call 1-800- GOT JUNK!
Honored Contributor

If I had all the supplies, I could pack up in a week or less.