Honored Contributor

How long would it take you to pack up your home?

[ Edited ]

I spoke to a friend yesterday who is roughly my age, mid- 60s. She sold her home and needs to be out by January 3rd.  She has three sons and four grandchildren, so it's not as if she hasn't accumulated "stuff". She said one of her sons will probably come to help her with the garage and attic.

She hasn't started packing yet! 

I'm not kidding when I say that I get stressed just thinking about how much she needs to do in so little time.

We're moving in June, and we've been packing for a month already.  The garage is packed up and pretty much everything else that's not a necessity is boxed up and ready for storage. We want the house to look as pristine as possible when the realtors come to take photos and videos in February.

How long do you think it would take you to pack up your entire home?

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: How long would it take you to pack up your home?

@house_cat  I hope to move to a cooler climate in late spring or early summer. I'm planning on the packing to take a month. However, I've been purging for more than a year to prepare and there are a couple pieces of furniture that are not going with me that will need to be hauled away.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not sure, but I'm starting to clear things out now. My dh will retire in 2 years. If we choose to move, I want to be more ready than I am now. 

Respected Contributor

I could probably have my 2-bedroom apartment contents ready to be moved in a week.

It's not a big space, so there isn't tons of stuff here.

Respected Contributor

A year and a half ago we moved less than 2 miles.

I had everything packed, boxed and ready to move in 5 months.

Mind you my DH and I both have home offices and the house is over 3000 sq ft so there is a lot of stuff.

Thank heavens I tossed and donated a LOT of stuff.

Respected Contributor

YEARS!!

Trusted Contributor

At least a month but I'd rather have 3 months. Your friends situation would drive me over the edge! Yikes !

Honored Contributor

I'm highly organized.  This is a two story house full of antiques.  Bring in the bubble wrap!

Honored Contributor

If I could work at it full time, about a week, maybe less.  I'm pretty quick when I want to be and I do not have a lot of clutter.

@house_cat ...have you shared where you are moving?

Honored Contributor

Forever. I have too much stuff.